Heating the Garage shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Ok people...I went out in the garage to get used to working out there and it was sooooo cold. I had to string my wife's racquet for our trip, so I toughed it out. I am thinking ahead to working on some projects when we get back (My reindeer yard art projects and I recently found a carving blank that I have had since I was a kid...I'll post pics when I get them) and I was wondering if you have any ideas on heating the garage shop.

Will

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Had this for 2 years; works great. 230V from Northern.
ShopHeater.jpg

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I have a garage shop and use a kerosene torpedo header (purchased at Northern Tool). Gets the garage warm quick and keeps it fairly warm (sometimes to the point I sweat a little)

Just make sure you have good ventilation too ...

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
Jeremy,
Do those kerosene heaters ever leave a residue on surfaces. I used one many, many (many) years ago to do some car work in the winter and I found a residue on my skin and some of my tools after 3-5 hours of work. I will also add that it was -15F outside and the torpedo heater was full blast for the entire time to keep up and the ventilation may not have been perfect.
Any experiences like that?

M

McRabbet

Had this for 2 years; works great. 230V from Northern.
ShopHeater.jpg
Joe,

Just read this thread over on Sawmill Creek about a 4000 Watt model which poster said was 230 V and about $100 (higher now) from Northern Tool -- is this the same one? Cost for yours? How much impact on your power bill? Just curious as I'm torn over putting in a propane walll heater vs electric heater in my basement shop to take the 55 degree chill off in the winter -- I'm using a Kerosun heater, but I'm not crazy about the odor. And, yes, I do have a CO detector.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Jeremy,
Do those kerosene heaters ever leave a residue on surfaces. I used one many, many (many) years ago to do some car work in the winter and I found a residue on my skin and some of my tools after 3-5 hours of work. I will also add that it was -15F outside and the torpedo heater was full blast for the entire time to keep up and the ventilation may not have been perfect.
Any experiences like that?

I've never had that problem -- though it does stink on startup and shutdown (not so bad when running, but still has a smell).

I'm interested in the electric ones ... but not sure they could produce enough heat fast enough for my garage shop.

I've checked out the natural gas "radiant" heaters ... they look the best, but are pricey!

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I use this little ceramic tank top heater.
It's not gonna make you sweat but it gets the chill out.

pete

Attachments

• Heater.jpg
    Heater.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 304

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I vote for the propane tank top heater if you want something simple and immediate. I use a gas grill so having an extra tank or two around when you are in the middle of cooking steaks and run out of gas you have a fallback source.

I have 10 foot ceilings so I set a small fan in one corner and face it up. This really seems to help.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I use a 170,000 BTU torpedo heater that uses kerosene for about 20 to 30 minutes to get the concrete floor and cast iron warm. then i shut it down and turn on the electric cieling hung heater like pictured above. as long as its above 30 degrees outside the electric will keep it warm all day. my shop is a fairly tight but not insulated 24 x 32 garage with an upstairs that is closed off with a cheap interior door. the kero stinks a little so I go in the house and drink a cup o joe while it heats it up. the smell goes away in an hour or so. If ir remember correctly the electric heater is 240 volt 40 amps and puts out 23000 btu. maybe... i think.... could be...but...memory dont serve all that well so YMMV.:roll: If the temp outside is below freezing and not expected to get any warmer I stay in the house and listen to LOML!!!! I hate when its freezin!!!:lol:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
It cost about $200 and its the 5500W version.
I can't measure the elec cost as I'm on the same payment/month plan, but that hasn't gone up in 2 years though.
However, my LP gas bill (water heater, logs, cooktop) has really increased. $1.30 to $1.80 in the same period!
Had a small propane heater before, but with the dust environment I wouldn't leave it on and had to warm up from cold each time. I leave the elec unit on lowest all the time.
Hope that helps,
Joe

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
In my barn shop I use a wood burning barrel stove. In the garage shop I have a high efficiency propane furnace that was removed from a house when it's basement got flooded (only a few inches of water got around the base of the furnace). It wasn't hurt, but the insurance company replaced it and I got it for free from the HVAC company that replaced it.

I have one of those propane tank top heaters that I used on some of the farm projects (nice when you're working underneath a piece of equipment in the winter).

The fumes from the kerosene heaters often give me a headache... but sometimes thats preferable to being cold!

Scott

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Don't forget that Lowes is clearancing all their seasonal heating item now- 50% off. There some bargins in the propane / natural gas heaters. $133.50 will get you a thermostatically controled 30,000 BTU heater. A couple bucks under a hundred will get you a 18,000 BTU unit.

woodydiver

New User
curt
hello,
i have a 12'x24' shop that is insulated with r-11 in the walls and ceiling.
i use a blue flame 20,000btu ventless propane heater (like the ones on clearance at lowes) . it will heat up the shop in 25-30 minutes. i run it on a 20 lb tank (same one on a bbq) with no problems although is says you need a 100 lb tank. i didnt get out much to work in the garage but i got more than a winter on one tank. I got the regulator and hose at northern tool to hook up the tank to the heater.
just my 2 cents,
curt

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Garages are hard to heat. One thing you may want to consider is putting something insulating on the floor. I put polypropylene tiles in my basement shop (concrete slab), and it has made a tremendous difference. The tiles are very stong, come in different colors, and it's reasonably affordable at $1.50/ sq.ft. (Sam's Club). You'd probably recoup that cost in 1-2 years or so, and it's also easier on your feet. Installation is trivial.

For a more rustic look, just cover the floor with OSB panels. Anything to keep the floor from sucking the heat out.

pacific493

New User
Brian
Has anyone ever used one of those combo portable air conditioniner/heaters? The kind with the hoses that run to the window? I am thinking of installing one of those mainly for the AC, but with the heat as an added bonus.

alleng

New User
allen
i have a wood burning heater that i helped myfather build about 30 years ago. when im out doing ww projects,i often keep warm by burning my mistakes,misscuts,etc:):).but on the downside cutting firewood is a lot of hard work,however i have allways enjoyed cutting wood,i find it good theropy

DavidF

New User
David
I use this one and am very happy with the warm up. If I know I'm going out there I put it on about 30 mins before I go out and it's fine. I keep the shop around 63 Deg most of the time I'm in there.

http://air-n-water.stores.yahoo.net/dal424shgahe.html

I have 20 x 20 with 8Ft ceiling. This unit cost roughly 50c per hour to run, or at least it did 3 years ago when I got it.
If I have to keep it on over night for an extended period when I am finishing something then we do notice a blip in the elec bill the next qtr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS