Heating 400 Sq/ft shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobelenus

New User
bigjohn
Just wanted to post an update to a previous post on a closed thread - I finally pulled a 220 line and installed a New Air G73 5000W - heater hanging from the ceiling. The other day I ran it for about 1 hour and it raised the temp from 48 to 60. The garage is pretty well insulated so after the temp was up I just shut it down for the next several hours... wanted to pass it along...

eyekode

New User
Salem
Sounds good! I almost got mine installed today. But mine is a little different. It doesn't have the handle for hanging it. I have been going back and forth trying to figure out the best way to handle it. I was also concerned that if I hung it high and directed it downward it would be too hot if I stood in front of it for too long. Is it an issue?
Thanks!
Salem

ehpoole

Ethan
Adding a bit of heat really does make a huge difference. My 520 sq. ft. garage/workshop is heated with 4,000W using a 12,000BTU window-mount A/C-heater combo. My shop usually maintains a temperature in the upper 40s to lower 50s all winter without heat (due to the large concrete slab floor), but with an insulated ceiling and garage door I can raise the temperature up to 68-70 in several hours. On the very rare days that we have really cold temperatures or high winds, I have an old 1,000W space heater (with a frozen mechanical thermostat) that I can plugin to boost the temperature much faster.

If I am really in a hurry I also have an 4,000-18,000BTU Big Buddy propane heater that I have on hand for extended power outtages in case of generator breakdown (or low fuel). A very nice indoor-rated (includes low-oxygen and tip-over automatic shutoff) portable heater unit for anyone looking for such. Adding it's 18,000 BTUs to the nearly 12,000BTUs from the window unit can heat my shop very quickly in a pinch.

If you have not already, insulating your ceiling and garage door -- and weather-stripping the garage door -- will make your shop much easier to heat and help keep down the heating bill.

jobelenus

New User
bigjohn
not sure how yours is designed but mine has metal louvers in front that direct the air flow real well - eliminates hot spots (also fan forced)

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
I've been looking into getting something called a ductless mini split for my shop. They are reasonably priced and will keep the area heated and cooled while keeping the compressor outside but running copper tubes of the refrigerant and the heating element is on a wall unit inside... I've not got my shop insulated yet, but that will probably be my first purchase once I do.

I've been working out there in this 30 deg. weather, and my finger tips get really numb pushing small boards through the jointer...

eyekode

New User
Salem
I have done some reading on these too. They sound perfect. Let us know how your install goes.
Salem

Skymaster

New User
Jack
mini split is mostest awesomeness almost silent,works fantastic, more upfront but almost nothing to run. i have one in my 3 car, think it is 18,500 LG. :gar-Bi:wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS