Heat and Cooling my workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cles69

New User
Cles
I have read several post on heating and cooling a workshop. I originally was going to go with a woodstove and a window A/C unit. But, after hearing the reviews. I would like to go with a mini split system. So, my questions are; are there any recommendations on brands ( I actually found out that you can order them from home depot online). Also, what the total cost might be? Thanks in advance for the help.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Make sure you insulate very well, it will pay you back. My shop, which has a 14' cathedral ceiling, has r19 in the floor, r15 in the walls, and r52 in the ceiling. Last night I left the shop at 6:00 and I had the temp at 60. I turned the heat off over night and I just went in the shop at 5:30 am, it is still 48 and the outside reading is 21

Cles69

New User
Cles
Phil Thanks. The walls and floor are done. Not quite as well as yours. I just have the ceiling left to do. Which I plan to do this Sunday since we are suppose to get rain. By the way, glad I am not the only one up this early.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I use an inwall electric unit I got from sears years ago.....Keeps my 24x24 shop nice and warm...if its really cold I will jump start it with a small electric farm heater. But the key is to insulate well.Mine could probably use a little more.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
My small detached 14 X 26 shop building is insulated with 3 1/2" fiberglass in the walls and 6" in the ceilings. Heating and cooling is provided by an 18,000 btu window style heat pump mounted high through the North end wall of the shop. It has proven to be a safe and ideal way to heat and cool my woodshop, but with only one problem. A good pleated type air filter is absolutely necessary to keep sawdust from plugging the coils of the unit DAMHIKT. I've found that a 12 X 24 X 1" standard size filter will fit between the front cover and the coils of my unit, and this works very well, but needs to be cleaned and/or replaced frequently. Mine kind of also doubles as or replaces the need for a ceiling mounted shop air filter. If you go with a mini split system you will have the same need to filter the air going through it very well to keep the coils from plugging. The coils can be difficult to clean if they get plugged, so make sure that the unit that you buy has the capability to use a good filter that can be changed/replaced easily and often.

Charley

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Insulation is the key, mine has 2x6 walls and they're packed FULL, and the ceiling is also very thick, don't remember the exact R value, but it was high, and all it takes to heat my shop on a day like today (16 outside) is a small baseboard heater that I got at Lowes, which keeps it at a warm 70 all the time, and to cool I have a small window unit that is made for a 10X12 bedroom, and I keep it around 70 during the heat of the summer. Insulated windows and doors help, and I have an insulated garage door in the room. I have a gas heater too, but hasn't been turned on in about four years now.

Cles69

New User
Cles
My small detached 14 X 26 shop building is insulated with 3 1/2" fiberglass in the walls and 6" in the ceilings. Heating and cooling is provided by an 18,000 btu window style heat pump mounted high through the North end wall of the shop. It has proven to be a safe and ideal way to heat and cool my woodshop, but with only one problem. A good pleated type air filter is absolutely necessary to keep sawdust from plugging the coils of the unit DAMHIKT. I've found that a 12 X 24 X 1" standard size filter will fit between the front cover and the coils of my unit, and this works very well, but needs to be cleaned and/or replaced frequently. Mine kind of also doubles as or replaces the need for a ceiling mounted shop air filter. If you go with a mini split system you will have the same need to filter the air going through it very well to keep the coils from plugging. The coils can be difficult to clean if they get plugged, so make sure that the unit that you buy has the capability to use a good filter that can be changed/replaced easily and often.

Charley

Charley
Your building sounds pretty much the same size as mine. Although, I have not encountered the window style heat pump in my searches. I will definitely keep the filter issue in mind as well. I have a shop air filtration unit and just got a dust collection system as well. Either way, the key I am hearing is insulating as well as possible. Which I am hoping to finish this weekend.

redknife

New User
Chris
Just met with our hvac guy about same yesterday. They use Mitsubishi or trane (same compressor) because they found them to be so durable and trouble free. We've had good luck over time with this company (wall-turner) including fixing other people's work so we're going with their recs. You can usually figure 1.5-2x retail on hvac estimates and can peruse different models on the web. We're having one put in our basement with a second unit in the workshop garage. Consider the copper run from the inside shop unit to the outside unit. You'll need 2 electric panel spots available for the 220 line that runs to the outside unit. Good luck

ETA: you can check out common ductless minisplit models, configs, cost at: https://www.acwholesalers.com/Room-Air-Conditioners/cat1094.ac

Last edited:

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
I looked at the mini splits as well and have installed them for commercial applications. The Hitachi and Toshiba seem to be the most recommended. I'd suggest getting one with a remote control.

agrieco

New User
anthony
I looked at the mini splits as well and have installed them for commercial applications. The Hitachi and Toshiba seem to be the most recommended. I'd suggest getting one with a remote control.

I've got a panasonic minisplit for my finished attic. Works great. Would do it again in a heart beat. It had a great warranty and was cheaper than the Mitzu that was the other option.

Cles69

New User
Cles

Kevin,
THanks. I looked at a Greer on Home Depots website and it has a good review and a remote. Since you install, do you know the typical cost of installation? If that is ok to ask.

Cles69

New User
Cles
I've got a panasonic minisplit for my finished attic. Works great. Would do it again in a heart beat. It had a great warranty and was cheaper than the Mitzu that was the other option.

Anthony
Great. Did you go through a local dealer?

alachua1947

New User
Donald
I have a 20' X 32' well insulated shop. I found a YMGI spilt unit with heat and ac. 24,000 BTU ac, 18000 heat I paid $1800 18 months ago. Some of the name brands or a lot more expensive.
I bought it online, free shipping. I don't remember the name. I did a dogpile or google search.
I live in Fayetteville. Today I cut the heat on about 1 1/2 hours before I began to work (I'm cold natured).

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I have a Mitsubishi mini split that heats and cools my basement workshop. I don't think it's a do it yourself install unless you're able to do the tubing conections and fill it with whatever type of freon that is used today (there is a name for it I just can't think of it). Mine has a remote and a washable filter. It works fantastic in both heat and A/C modes and is very quiet.

Red

old-delta

New User
Wes
I have read several post on heating and cooling a workshop. I originally was going to go with a woodstove and a window A/C unit. But, after hearing the reviews. I would like to go with a mini split system. So, my questions are; are there any recommendations on brands ( I actually found out that you can order them from home depot online). Also, what the total cost might be? Thanks in advance for the help.

Look into a "P-Tac" unit. It's a through the wall heat pump. Same as used in motels. I have one in my 24X30 shop and it works perfect. They don't cost much more than a Sears or Lowes and are commercial grade. They even have supplemental heat for the very cold ( 30 and below) degrees. Also the unit I have is 14,00 btu cool and 11,000 heat. It warms the shop from 35 degrees to 65 in less than an hour. The blower fan shuts off just like a whole house unit unlike the triditional window that requires the fan to run until you shut the unit down. I paid less than $700 for an Amana. Im sure there may be a house brand cheaper. Hope this helps. Wes

Last edited:

Bapakleo

New User
Leo
Everyone I talked to in this area recommended Mitsubishi so I put a Mitsubishi 3500 unit in a 3 car garage. I adjust the temp but never turn it off and have been unable to see any difference in my electric bill, though I'm sure there is one. I had this professionally installed and it was the best $1000 I've spent lately as they ran into several problems where my builder had "over built". Thinking of doing it yourself? Would you ask the electrician to make a refined cabriole leg? I know I'm not in the majority but I really believe that if you buy the best you can afford, and let the other professionals (if you can find one) do their job, you never need to look back or have buyer's remorse. Just my thought.

Cles69

New User
Cles
Everyone I talked to in this area recommended Mitsubishi so I put a Mitsubishi 3500 unit in a 3 car garage. I adjust the temp but never turn it off and have been unable to see any difference in my electric bill, though I'm sure there is one. I had this professionally installed and it was the best $1000 I've spent lately as they ran into several problems where my builder had "over built". Thinking of doing it yourself? Would you ask the electrician to make a refined cabriole leg? I know I'm not in the majority but I really believe that if you buy the best you can afford, and let the other professionals (if you can find one) do their job, you never need to look back or have buyer's remorse. Just my thought.
Leo
Thanks for the advice. Which ever I choose will definitely be done professionally. I just have to find a good dealer in this area.

Cles69

New User
Cles
Look into a "P-Tac" unit. It's a through the wall heat pump. Same as used in motels. I have one in my 24X30 shop and it works perfect. They don't cost much more than a Sears or Lowes and are commercial grade. They even have supplemental heat for the very cold ( 30 and below) degrees. Also the unit I have is 14,00 btu cool and 11,000 heat. It warms the shop from 35 degrees to 65 in less than an hour. The blower fan shuts off just like a whole house unit unlike the triditional window that requires the fan to run until you shut the unit down. I paid less than $700 for an Amana. Im sure there may be a house brand cheaper. Hope this helps. Wes

Wes
I never thought of one. I will certainly look into it.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
I have a Mitsubishi mini split that heats and cools my basement workshop. I don't think it's a do it yourself install unless you're able to do the tubing conections and fill it with whatever type of freon that is used today (there is a name for it I just can't think of it). Mine has a remote and a washable filter. It works fantastic in both heat and A/C modes and is very quiet.

Red

+1 on the Mitzubishi. 22 SEER unit in my 22x32' shop with 12 foot ceilings and 2 large overhead garage doors. Keeps temps where the remote is set and can set to come on and go off when you want w/o your having to go out and set it before starting work on cold mornings. Addition to monthly electric bill is minimal.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS