He has a long wait ahead

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I'm always amazed at the incredible optimism of some CL sellers:

Planer 24 inch - $1,000 (Roanoke)

1713047675878.png

That looks like it will require a full restoration and who knows whether parts are missing...

It looks similar to this:

1713048591822.png

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I wonder what other goodies are parked in the trees. Maybe a 53 chevy 4 door for $30k…need a little work.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
3 phase motor, needs rebuilding. Exactly how do you destroy a 3 phase motor? All the ones I have pulled out of the junk yard only needed bearings, which is why they were removed from service. Quicker to replace than to repair, plus production time lost

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
1000 bucks for this ........... he's smokin' crack.

I have done restorations to tools this rough. To derust, clean and get everything back to zero cosmetic-wise is really 4-5 days of work.

HOWEVER, that table getting reflattened and adjustments, feed wheels, might take 5 days by themselves to get corrected. Plus all the bushings, shims, springs, bearings, belts, chains .... etc.

I would only take something like this on to teach a class on how to restore a unit like this. By the time you are done you will have 1000-1500 in misc parts+ a 500 buck motor. If you change it to a helical + 16-1800 bucks more.

Like I said only useful as a teaching moment ..... Martin is right over exuberant optimism by the seller.

100 bucks is being generous

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
All I can say is that's a project...I have restored several tools but this might be better used as a boat anchor IMO.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
This sounds like someone who inherited their dad/ grandads stash, and is clueless re: value. I’m an OWWM guy myself, (I don’t know that this qualifies, it does look very similar if not identical to the Grizzly posted above), and have paid premiums for “rare” pieces of old rusty metal, (diamonds in the rough), to rebuild but this is one definitely “optimistic”.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I think Heath's assessment is likely spot on.
My copy of a 1994 Griz catalog doesn't show a 24" planer, just a 20" four poster.
There are way too many missing essential running components to make that a project at any price.
Maybe they're just trying to get an offer from someone willing to haul it away and thus save them the expense and trouble.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors