HDF for Templates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Anyone know where you can purchase High Density Fiberboard? :eusa_thin We'd like some for making templates. MDF seems to get "mushy" after some use. :cry:

Or, any suggestions for template materials are welcome. Thanx.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
IIRC, HDF is also known as Masonite or hardboard. You should be able to find it in 3/16" thickness at the BORGS (HD is my choice for that type of material). I have not seen it readily available in much greater thickness.
Dave:)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
1/4" is just right. Is "Hardboard" or Masonite the same as MDF? Looking for something harder possibly.

cpw

New User
Charles
1/4" is just right. Is "Hardboard" or Masonite the same as MDF? Looking for something harder possibly.

Hardboard, [STRIKE]MDF[/STRIKE] HDF, and Masonite are basically the same thing. Masonite is a brand name like 'Kleenex'. If you want something 'harder' (more durable?) maybe you should think about aluminum? It's a little slower going and a lot harder on tools, but it can be cut on a tablesaw with special blades, cut on the bandsaw, and even routed with caution.

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

Be sure you buy "Tempered" Masonite -- there is a non-tempered version that is quite soft -- the Tempered variety has a darker brown color and may have a machine textured back where it was placed in the final press.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Thanks, Rob. What bit maker do you consider best for template cutting? I've got a 2" Frued that has seemed to dull quickly. Maybe I need to go carbide?

M

McRabbet

Reggie,

You definitely need carbide router bits for any routing. By "Template cutting" I assume you mean "Pattern Routing", where you stick your template onto your rough sawn stock with double stick tape (or Hot Melt Glue) and then cut the final piece with a Pattern Routing Bit, such as these (scroll down for several styles). I buy MLCS bits for most work, but if you have a large quantity of work to do with one particular bit, then move up in quality to CMT or Whiteside bits.

nelsone

New User
Ed
The tempered hardboard works great for patterns. I have a set I made for the adirondack chairs I make and several other templates. 1/4" works great.

DavidF

New User
David
I have used Hardboard for templates and I found that it works if the pieces to be routed are fairly light weight, but if the piece is bigger and heavier meaning that you may exert more pressure on it with the bearing, then it does dent and potentially ruin the job. Think 40" x 14" x 1.5 Padauk! DAMHIKT:BangHead: I use 0.5" MDF or clear lexan/acrylic sheet.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I have used Hardboard for templates and I found that it works if the pieces to be routed are fairly light weight, but if the piece is bigger and heavier meaning that you may exert more pressure on it with the bearing, then it does dent and potentially ruin the job. Think 40" x 14" x 1.5 Padauk! DAMHIKT:BangHead: I use 0.5" MDF or clear lexan/acrylic sheet.

:eusa_thin Hadn't thought about the lexan/acrylic thing. Good templates are worth the investment. THANX!

tmerrill

New User
Tim
I've used 1/4 or 3/8 baltic birch before. Easy to prepare and seems to hold up well with use. A couple of coats of poly would even make them more durable.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS