Hawaiian Monkey Pod Tree/wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalai

New User
Chris Kalai Allen
Aloha everyone, this is one of the things I have been doing that has been keeping me busy, if I did this right there should be 3 pictures of a Hawaiian Monkey Pod tree, you can see the ocean in the background, it is a real nice area with a great view, I am working on a 8000 acre parcle that has a bunch of these Monkey Pod trees, the owner was going to bulldoze them but I talked him into letting me cut a bunch of them down before he brings the dozer, the 2nd pic. is of one of the MP trees cut down and bucked up, the 3rd pic. is a better look at some MP logs. Hawaiian Monkey pod has very nice grain and color.
If anyone here wants any bowl blanks then let me know that you are interested and I can post a add in the classifieds section.
The trunk of the tree was about 30" in dia. Monkey Pod is a lot like Koa but the grain in MP is more open, like oak and the smell and color is different, I have seen some MP that I had to look real close to make sure it was not Koa but for the most part Hawaiian MP has a more chocolate brown color compared to the reds and browns or Koa, this one that I cut down has real good color. Enjoy the pictures now I gotta go and finish milling the logs, aloha.

Chris "Kalai":icon_thum
Ka_u_007.jpg

View image in gallery

M

McRabbet

Chris,

Please post any bowl stock for sale in the "Wood" forum as an exclusive sale for NC Woodworker members -- we do not allow commercial sales in our Classified Ads. Thanks -- It is nice looking wood and I'm sure our turners will be excited to get some.

Kalai

New User
Chris Kalai Allen
Hi Scott, Monkey Pod will work fine for bottle stoppers and pepper mills, what size do you like for the stoppers and the pepper mills?
Rob thanks for the info, yes this offer will only be for NC Woodworker members, aloha.

Kalai

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hi Scott, Monkey Pod will work fine for bottle stoppers and pepper mills, what size do you like for the stoppers and the pepper mills?
Rob thanks for the info, yes this offer will only be for NC Woodworker members, aloha.

Kalai

For stoppers normally 2" sq x 3" or if it is easier pieces 6" x 9" x 2" or 6" x 12" x 2".

For pepper mills std blank size is 3" sq x 12".

I am the most interested in the stopper blanks.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Do you have photos of some of this wood in a finished state? Looks like it would be gorgeous.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
:icon_cheers Both hands up here - I am very interested in some - small bowl blanks 3x6-4x8 - bottle stopper blanks as well - and pen blanks - if this will be shipped green then the bottle stopper and pen blanks need to be oversize

KHageman

New User
Ken
Chris, Do you ever cut cants that can be resawn into guitar backs and sides? Would be interested in some monkey pod and also in some curly (and spalted if possible) mango.
Also, do you ever get any Kou. Same family as Bocote and Ziricote that grows in Mexico and Central America.

Thanks
Ken

Kalai

New User
Chris Kalai Allen
Hi Ken, I would have to say yes to all your questions, Hawaiian Kou is very nice and rare too, let me know what size Monkey Pod you need, aloha.

Chris "Kalai"

KHageman

New User
Ken
Kalai,

The material I ould be interested in is for backs and sides that I can resaw. Sides usually run 5 1/2 - 6 inches wide by 34 - 36 inches long. Backs run 8 1/2 - 9 inches wide X 22 -24 inches long. I prefer 5/4 material, but 4/4, 6/4, 8/4 will also work just fine. I prefer quartersawn material. If you have curly mango that would be great. Spalting would be a plus. I know Kou is hard to find in quartered material so riff or flat cut material would be fine. I would like a set of backs and sides material for each species if I can afford them. Let me know and the cost of shipping to the "Great North State".

Thanks
Ken

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
Aloha everyone, this is one of the things I have been doing that has been keeping me busy, if I did this right there should be 3 pictures of a Hawaiian Monkey Pod tree, you can see the ocean in the background, it is a real nice area with a great view, I am working on a 8000 acre parcle that has a bunch of these Monkey Pod trees, the owner was going to bulldoze them but I talked him into letting me cut a bunch of them down before he brings the dozer, the 2nd pic. is of one of the MP trees cut down and bucked up, the 3rd pic. is a better look at some MP logs. Hawaiian Monkey pod has very nice grain and color.
If anyone here wants any bowl blanks then let me know that you are interested and I can post a add in the classifieds section.
The trunk of the tree was about 30" in dia. Monkey Pod is a lot like Koa but the grain in MP is more open, like oak and the smell and color is different, I have seen some MP that I had to look real close to make sure it was not Koa but for the most part Hawaiian MP has a more chocolate brown color compared to the reds and browns or Koa, this one that I cut down has real good color. Enjoy the pictures now I gotta go and finish milling the logs, aloha.

Chris "Kalai":icon_thum

Chris, How do I go about getting some of this wood if it is still available? :icon_scra

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS