Hatteras Yachts helm pods/consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

K Humphries

New User
kenny
Well I have been a member for a few weeks but never posted, just surfed,
But I have just finished a couple of cool projects for Hatteras Yachts and I felt pretty good about them so i figured I would gloat:eusa_danc. These are helm pods for up on the flybridge of some of their sport fishing boats The main steering and throttle sets will be located on these pods once they are installed. I have been a boat builder for close to ten years, I enjoy all aspects but always look forward to doing some of the finish projects.

Working on a new one with a rounded barrel back on the aft section and tons of shape all over. I will shar pics of that one soon.
thanks for looking and oh by the way, what an awesome site this is.
Ken

Attachments

• helm pod #2.jpg
    helm pod #2.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 208
  • helm pod #2...jpg
    helm pod #2...jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 181
  • helm pod clamp up #2.jpg
    helm pod clamp up #2.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 182

DaveO

New User
DaveO
What kinda wood, what finish...man, we need details. I would love to see them mounted on the boats. I'm a landlubber and have no idea what you're talking about :5dunce::5dunce:
All I know is that they look good :icon_thum:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

K Humphries

New User
kenny
Hey Dave thanks for the kind words.

These consoles are all teak. I dont currently have a pic of one installed but I am trying hard to get some. This one is #2 and I am now working on #4. I am trying to complete one a week as a second job. The first three were this style and #4 will look quite a bit different.
These consoles get an epoxy base coat to build up finish and receive 20 coats of varnish after that. The steering wheel for the boat will be in the center of the large flat while the port and starboard engine throttles are located on the side angled "facet". The view is of the front starboard(right) corner. Thanks for asking.
Ken

K Humphries

New User
kenny
:oops: oops, That was a little misleading. I complete the construction of the console in one week (my part), and then the varnish stage is roughly another weeks work done by a friend. He's the varnish guy, Im the woodworker.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site Kenny and great job on the console. How long have you been doing this for Hatteras? Many many moons ago I worked for an outfit that machined shaft and rudder componets for Hatteras. That was back when part of their operation was in High Point.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Very neat project!!! You have a nice collection of F clamps, but it is obvious you need them for what you are making!

Welcome aboard.

K Humphries

New User
kenny
Bryan,
I have only just started this gig with Hatteras. I work at Cherry point Naval Air Depot during the days as a sheetmetal mechanic and do the consoles at night. Ive worked with some great boatbuilders over the years and I dont do quite as much of it any more. (Boatbuilding...great job, not great pay.) One cool builder I worked with though is at this site.
http://www.budsin.com/
It's great to hear of your machinist background. Didnt they close at High point plant around 1990 or so?

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
It's great to hear of your machinist background. Didnt they close at High point plant around 1990 or so?

I dont remember exactly but it was sometime in the early 90"s. The yahting industry took a huge turn south and I was liad off just before Christmas 1990, it was'nt long after that they moved the whole operation to New Bern.

I see you live in Marshallberg. My inlaws have a small place in Salter Path and we'll be down the weekend of the seafood festival and following week. I've got to do some feeshin :eusa_danc I'll send you a pm before we head down.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks for posting Kenny. Nice design and flawless finish :icon_thum
Don't hestitate to post more often. Like DaveO, I'm a landlubber and generally in awe of boat building. NCWWer members D ON BOARD and oderus1671 work with Paul Mann in Mann's Harbor. This spring they were kind enough let me tour their shop and a 65 footer they were finishing up in the harbor at Wanchese. I didn't find a square piece of wood anywhere :lol:

Cheers,
Roger

Last edited:

K Humphries

New User
kenny
Roger,
I am well familiar with Paul Manns sportfishers. I worked with Gary Davis and Jarrett Bay for a while building the same type of boats.
The "Carolina Flare" style boat is near and dear to my heart.
Its true about the lack of square in boat construction. It can be a real head scratcher sometimes.:BangHead:

There are some really ingenius methods developed by boatbuilders that work well in the trade. It taught me a ton.

kenny

oderus1671

New User
chris
nice helm pod there. the ones that we make are a bit rounder, so our teak boards need to be pretty thick. nothing worse than getting everything glued together just to have those nasty lil corner triangles break thru!:BangHead: LOML has a step-father that works at Hatteras as an engineer for the cabinet shop. great work, and I can personally confirm the massive amount of time that goes into one of those lil buggers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors