Harvey Ambassador C14 Bandsaw Review

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
Harvey Industires recently added a review section to their website and politely solicited reviews from owners. In the event that this is useful to others, I share the review I submitted here (with one addendum). This is wordy, so if you want the quick verdict, the machine is a winner.

Brick and mortar woodworking machinery retailers are now few and far between. As such, buying machinery can be an uncomfortable gamble. We can comb the internet for information, specifications, and user reviews. Our woodworking cohorts are also a good research resource. In the end though, and without the ability to touch and feel machines, a purchase can still be an expensive gamble.

Once a purchase decision is made, one certainly hopes the choice was correct and waits for delivery. In this instance, the delivery was/is a Harvey Ambassador C14 Bandsaw.
https://www.harveywoodworking.com/products/new-ambassador-c14-3hp-14-band-saw?variant=31871280808051

The shipment arrived promptly with the liftgate service I requested. The (ABF) driver kindly wheeled the pallet down my long driveway and into my garage. There were no signs of transit damage. With the top cap removed, the robust side panels fall away easily.

Unbolt the saw from the pallet, clean the numerous greased-covered surfaces, attach the fence, reposition the switch (from the shipping position) and the machine is ready for fine-tuning, table squaring and so forth.

Readying the C14, handling things from top to bottom, I was continually impressed A highly accurate straight edge, and feeler gauge confirmed flatness of a smooth cast iron table surface. Underneath, those typical nasty casting edges were properly refined. First rate hardware and fasteners contribute to a quality build. Even the quality of the paint deserves mention and praise.

Blade changes take a bit longer than I am accustomed to because two guards must be removed entirely. The upper guard that is more conveniently hinged on many similar machines is (on the C14) secured by one hex cap screw. A lower guard is held by a thumbscrew. Blade changing on the Harvey Alpha series bandsaws appears to be easier—a difference that I feel could and should be made clearer on the Harvey website. With more differentiating information, I might have upgraded to the Alpha series. So far though, I’m comfortable and happy with the C-14.

I’m happy too with the C-14’s ball bearing blade guides and adjusting mechanisms. I volunteer in a non-profit’s shop where a Rikon is the resident bandsaw. Rikon’s toolless spring loaded pushbutton guide controls seem ideal. Ideal that is until put to the test. Those snazzy pushbuttons can be maddening. I submit that the Ambassador C14’s straightforward guides and adjusting mechanisms are effective, sensible and simply better.

Note: Aside from my personal feelings about the Rikon blade guide adjusting mechanisms, it's easy to understand why the Rikon10-326 is so popular.

The arguably low 34” table height might be a concern to taller users. At just over 5’ 6”, I rather welcome the lower work surface. A rectangular blade throat opening makes it easy to fabricate 5mm thick zero-clearance throat plates—a plus in my view. A simple, sturdy high-low rip fence glides smoothly and locks securely on a stout, chromed steel rail. The fences’ high option is disappointingly low, but not a deal-breaker. There are no meaningful markings on the blade tension scale. While these scales on competing machines are notoriously inaccurate, having reference points of some sort would still be helpful.

Running, the C-14 is nearly vibration-free and relatively quiet. The two dust collection ports are effective. It's hard to imagine being able to bog down the 3hp motor. Lastly, the blade tension release functions smoothly and easily.

I should mention too that the few questions I’ve had have been addressed by Harvey’s Customer Service quickly and effectively.

The C-14 is an upgrade to and replaces a largely unknown French-made (Kity) machine that served me well for over 25 years. I’m an amateur maker of furniture and cabinetry. I am also a turner, which calls for the prepping dried and green stock. This is an impressive machine that suits my varied needs well and is easy to recommend to fellow woodworkers.

Note: I spent about $25 to replace the blade guard elevation and table tilt adjustment wheels with crank handle type wheels as well as the blade guard elevation knob with an adjustable lever handle screw. Easy mods. Money well-spent.

jfear

Justin
Corporate Member
Thanks Ed for the great review. I know I love my Harvey table saw and I will definitely take a look at the C14 when I am in the market for a bandsaw.

jlcrtr

James
User
Thanks for the review. Mine is still crated. Workshop almost complete, then will move in the tools. I look forward to seeing my new saw after reading your notes. I'll look into the handles.

mikeyt

Mike
Senior User
Nice write up.
Thanks
Mine is together and waiting for power ro be run.
If you have a link to those handles it'd be much appreciated.
While the ones now aren't a deal breaker it would be nice to have a crank handle.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
Nice write up.
Thanks
Mine is together and waiting for power ro be run.
If you have a link to those handles it'd be much appreciated.
While the ones now aren't a deal breaker it would be nice to have a crank handle.
These are what I ended up with. There were many to choose from though. Just watch the dimensions carefully.

Blade Guard Elevation:
Blade Guard Lock:
Table Tilt:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
As I have commented before, I love my C-14. By far the easiest to adjust guides ( over Rikon and Laguna, the only valid competition)
They do seem to miss the mark in not having an 18 or 20 inch version. An 18 would be nice to run a 1 inch carbide blade for re-saw, but I guess if you do that much re-aw, you woudl get a big Griz or Hammer. Anyway, I have easilly sliced 1/16 sheets of 6 inch walnut and oak with no problem. Re-sawn several walnut and cedar logs about 8 inches in diameter.

I put the bigger handle on my blade guard. Yea, a small improvement, but not that big. I have not put it on the tilt yet, but I don't tilt very often. I added a basket for "handy tools" and a really bright LED light. I made a short rear table extension and a flip up really long one to aid in resaw. Still working on dust collection, but I got sidetracked with actual woodworking projects.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
As I have commented before, I love my C-14. By far the easiest to adjust guides ( over Rikon and Laguna, the only valid competition)
They do seem to miss the mark in not having an 18 or 20 inch version. An 18 would be nice to run a 1 inch carbide blade for re-saw, but I guess if you do that much re-aw, you woudl get a big Griz or Hammer. Anyway, I have easilly sliced 1/16 sheets of 6 inch walnut and oak with no problem. Re-sawn several walnut and cedar logs about 8 inches in diameter.

I put the bigger handle on my blade guard. Yea, a small improvement, but not that big. I have not put it on the tilt yet, but I don't tilt very often. I added a basket for "handy tools" and a really bright LED light. I made a short rear table extension and a flip up really long one to aid in resaw. Still working on dust collection, but I got sidetracked with actual woodworking projects.
I tilt the mostly for easier access to the lower blade guides and some types of dovetails. A crank handwheel makes it a breeze.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I made a little "extension" out of a dowel that gets to the rear lower guide thumbwheel quite easilly. Big fat hands you know. Just a short piece with a slot cut in the end.

fjdog

New User
Roland
I would definitely consider this saw if they offered it with a 110v motor like the Laguna. Not everyone has free-flowing 220 in their shop and adding it would be very expensive for me because it would require a sub-panel. So, for now the old Delta 14" continues to be my go-to.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
220 is because it is 3 HP. Ricon 3 HP is also on 220. If you don't have 220, then you need to step down to a 2 HP or less and not think about re-sawing 12 inches of maple. Just physics.

fjdog

New User
Roland
Agree, the Laguna and Rikon both offer a 1.75hp model that runs on 110, which is about the most powerful you can get until moving up to 220. It would probably be plenty for me. My current saw is 0.5 hp (1960s delta) and does fine with the resawing I have done up to 6". I just go a little slower.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS