Harpsichord Project Part 28 - String & Jacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

In this part, we will take care of stringing the instrument, installing the action, and taking care of the little odds & ends that are necessary. We’ve come so far in this project that this series would be incomplete without talking about strings and jacks etc. However, detailed descriptions of the techniques involved would be useless to you unless you were going to build your own instrument. So, in the interest of brevity and sanity (mine and yours), I’ll briefly tell what was done without getting into the nuts and bolts of the procedures.

Odds & Ends

Gap Spacers – 3 maple gap spacers are installed between the upper belly rail and the pinblock. The pull of the strings tends to pull the bellyrail into the gap. This can narrow the gap, sometimes to the point where the registers will be frozen and unable to move. The gap spacers help to eliminate this tendency.

ODDS-1.JPG

Register Rest Blocks – The 2 upper registers sit in the gap. The ends of the registers sit on the register rest blocks glued to the case sides on the cheek and spine.

odds-2.JPG

Buff Stop Rail - The buff stop rail is a thin wooden rail that sits behind the 8’ nut and is held in place by a few escutcheon pins. After the strings are installed, little buckskin pads will be glued to this rail. When the rail lever is turned on, these pads lightly touch their neighboring strings and change the tone to sound more like an acoustic guitar or lute.

ODDS-3.JPG

Register Levers – The two upper registers and the buff stop rail are moved left or right to turn them on/off. This movement is controlled by the register lever which are fabricated in the shop from 1/8” thick, 3/8” wide brass bar stock.

One end of the brass is bent 90 degrees to form the handle. This is done using a vise and a c-clamp.

odds-4.JPG

odds-5.JPG

The far end of each lever has a hole drilled into it which accepts a pin imbedded into the register or, as in the next photo, the buff stop rail. Moving the lever left or right will move the register or rail in the opposite direction.

odds-6.JPG

Hitchpins – The far end of each string is looped around hitchpins which are imbedded into the 8’ hitchpin rail and the 4’ hitchpin rail (which is underneath the soundboard). When we built it, (see Part 19) we punched dimples into the soundboard to show the position of the 4’ hitchpins. We now punch similar dimples into the 8’ hitchpin rail (taken from the blueprint) to locate those pins. Then we drill the 104 holes using a 1/16” drill bit and install the pins. Here the hitchpins are being installed into the 8’ hitchpin rail.

odds-7.JPG

And through the soundboard into the 4’ hitchpin rail.

odds-8.JPG

Bridge Pins – Dimples were similarly placed on the 8’ bridge in Part 19. We drill these holes with a #56 drill bit to accept pins with a diameter of .049. The holes on the 4’ bridge will be located and drilled after the 8’ strings have been installed.
The white material you see at the base of the pins is soap which has been applied to the pin to make its insertion into the bridge easier. Keep in mind that the soundboard is only 1/8” thick and we don’t want to push the pins in with such force that we crack the soundboard. That would really spoil my day.

odds-9.JPG

Stringing the Harpsichord

There are 104 strings to install – 52 on the big bridge and 52 on the small bridge. Nine different sizes (diameters) of wire are used ranging from .020 in the bass to .009 in the treble. Three different wire materials are used – red brass in the lowest bass, yellow brass for the rest of the bass, and low-tensioned steel for the rest of the instrument. Each of the 104 strings are cut to length from a coil of music wire and have a loop turned into the far end. This loop is turned by hand using a vise into which is placed a hitchpin. While this loop looks somewhat complicated, it’s pretty easy to do after you’ve done a few hundred of them. Each loop takes about 30 seconds. Here’s what a completed loop looks like.

odds-10.JPG

The 8’ strings are put on first. Pins are installed into the 8’ nut which terminate the speaking length of the strings and cause the strings to cross over the registers in the correct position.

odds-11.JPG

Once the 8’ strings have been installed we drill holes on the 4’ bridge and pin that bridge. Then we can install the 4’ strings and pin the 4’ nut.

odds-12.JPG

After the 4’ strings have been installed and the 4’ nut pinned, the stringing is completed.

odds-13.JPG

Installing the Jacks

As there are 104 strings in the harpsichord there will be 104 jacks – one for each string. Here’s a photo of an assembled jack, complete with its plectrum (plucker).

odds-14.JPG

At this stage the jack is far too long and must be cut to size. The jack goes through its slot in the upper and lower registers and sits on the end of its corresponding key. The jack must be cut so that, when installed, the plectrum will sit 1/16” below the string it is to pluck. It would be nice to be able to determine this length and gang-cut all of the jacks. However, you may remember that the bridges and nuts taper in height from bass to treble, so each jack must be cut to fit separately. We drill out the bottom of each jack to accept a small machine screw which gives us a way to fine-tune the height of the jack.

ODDS-15.JPG

Each jack is labeled so that we can remove it and replace it in the same slot.

odds-16.JPG

Finally it’s time to install the jacks. If everything to this point was done accurately – if the registers were cut correctly – if the pinning of the bridges and nuts is dead on – if the tuning pin holes were drilled in the right place – if the coils of music wire on the tuning pins leave the pins at the correct angle – if the plectra are cut to the correct length – then the installation of the jacks will proceed without a problem. In other words, if perfection was achieved then the job is easy. Of course, perfection is never achieved, at least by me. Hopefully, any errors will be minor and can be compensated for. Over the years I’ve learned that almost any error can be fixed or compensated for, but not without a lot of pain and several sleepless nights. Five months of work all comes down to this. Fortunately, nothing went wrong with our instrument and the jack installation went without incident. Here’s some 8’ jacks being installed.

odds-17.JPG

After all of the jacks are installed, they must be regulated to work correctly. The plectra must be voiced by scraping their undersides with a sharp blade so that the volume of sound produced by the harpsichord is even throughout its range. The plucks of the 2 jacks controlled by each key must be staggered so they don’t pluck at the same time, which would make the feel of the keys very heavy. All of this takes time – it’s not at all unusual to spend a couple of weeks on this regulation and still not be satisfied.

Part of this regulation has to do with the jackrail that we built in Part 11. The jackrail, which has cloth installed on its underside, is vital to the proper functioning of the action.
The downward movement of the keys stops when the jacks hit the jackrail. This downward movement is called key dip and is adjusted by adding more cloth into the jackrail or by shortening the jacks above the plectra, which is the method I use.

The last step is the installation of little buckskin pads onto the buff stop rail.

odds-18.JPG

That done, the stringing and action have been completed.
odds-19.JPG

odds-20.JPG

Except for some nit-picking, which I love to do, the instrument is now complete – and playing. In the next post, which will be the final post in this series, we’ll summarize the project and show the final photos.

Till the last time,
Ernie

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Well, Ernie, you've finally done it, I'm lost. Up until now, I've pretty much understood everything you've been doing. You could have posted this installment in Chinese, and it would have made just about as much sense to me.:dontknow::icon_scra:gar-Bi

I like the the various brass parts that you fabricated. You really have to be a jack of all trades to make one of these things, don't you? Are these "plectrums" plastic? What was the traditional material? I have a list of questions way to long to post, and there are a few things that are so obscure to me, I don't even know how to phrase the question.

So, that settles it, I have got to come and see the harpsichord myself (if that's OK with you!). How long before you take it away to wherever?

What an absolutely marvelous project and accompanying tutorial. I, like many others here have mentioned, will be sorry to see the series end. You are not only a master craftsman, but an entertaining, skilled, and self deprecating writer and story teller.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Matt

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Ernie, it seems like we all were part of the nine month (five months in this case) process of birthing a baby. What an experience it has been. Now it would be great if you could post a video of it being played so we could hear it. All of us parents remember the joy of hearing our child make "music" for the first time. :wsmile: You not only did an outstanding job of building the instrument, but did an equally impressive job of documenting the process. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Ernie,

What can I say. Your craftsmanship and patience are unparalleled. Your wife's painting is beautiful.

I hope that you can post an audio so we can hear your creation when finished.

Rick Doby

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Ernie,

This has been a truly awe inspiring journey and I thank you for sharing your craft. As mentioned before,your skill is superb and your patience extraordinary not to mention your ability to explain and chronicle this masterpiece.

Dan C.

gritz

New User
Robert
Earnie,

I came aboard about half way through your tutorial, and have now gone back to read each one in turn. All I can say is how much I appreciate your selfless efforts in placing this all before an undeserving audience.

I said selfless, but I also realize that the satisfaction of knowing they have clearly presented a concept is enough for a teacher, and that the feedback that the concept was absorbed is the true reward.

With that in mind, I know your presentation has inspired woodworkers who will never attempt so complex a task to reflect upon the materials, means and methods you demonstrate and that we all will incorporate your spirit and devotion to craft as motivation toward our own personal bests.

Well done, and Thank You!!!

M

McRabbet

Ernie,

I know everyone shares equal thoughts of how impressive this project has been for all of us. Your craftsmanship, attention to detail, clarity in presentation and great teamwork with Sandy are all very impressive. A superb journey that we've all witnessed in awe!

I know that earlier you mentioned that a colleague had been creating a PDF version of your saga -- if possible, it would make a memorable contribution to our download library for our members (non-members cannot download from our Library), if you are willing. If your colleague has not continued, I would be willing to capture the thread into a PDF journal (I have Acrobat Release 5) for that purpose. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I like the the various brass parts that you fabricated. You really have to be a jack of all trades to make one of these things, don't you? Are these "plectrums" plastic? What was the traditional material? I have a list of questions way to long to post, and there are a few things that are so obscure to me, I don't even know how to phrase the question.

Matt - That's right! Jack of all trades and master of none.:gar-La;
Yes, the plectra are made of delrin. Originally birds feathers (quill) were used, and still are by some builders.

Love to have you come and visit. The instrument will be here at least until June 7th. Whenever you have the time, swing on over.

Stuart & Rick - Audio proof of the "birth" is on the way!

Rob - Neal Carey of Boston is compiling all 29 threads into a Word Document. It's almost finished. When I get it I'll be glad to upload it.

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments.

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS