Hardwood supplier that will ship

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
Hello,

New here so pls forgive me if this has been asked and answered. I did do a search but didn't find what i was looking for.

Without mentioning the company name, I have been buying hardwoods from a place recommended by the Wood Whispering Guy. Its been hit and miss with the quality I get since i can't pick out the boards myself and am at the mercy of what they send me.

I've not had an issue with the grading of the boards, they are always knot free. The problem is some are twisted. I have a 6" Powermatic jointer and a Dewalt lunchbox planner. I use a sled made of two layers of 3/4" plywood with an embedded t-track and inline clamp, similar to this: http://www.finewoodworking.com/2017/06/06/a-smarter-planer-sled-for-flattening-wide-stock. I can shim the boards and lock it down with the inline clamp. The board is stable and doesn't move.

The problem is by the time I get the board flat, its less than what I need for my project. Recently I bought 4/4 cherry, walnut and white oak. $200+ w/shipping. I was abler to get the white oak and walnut to a finished 3/4" but the cherry didn't flatten until 11/16 - 5/8".

I can't make anything from sawdust so I'm looking for a supplier that ships and doesn't ship junk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
First off welcome to the wood pile. Second, there are three places right off that are easy drives from where you live. All three have adds on this site. Two of them do deliver, however, with that said you really should go to the venders place and select your wood. These folks will let you cull through and select your boards. The Hardwood store of North Carolina in Gibsonville, Wall Lumber in Madison, GPS Hardwoods in Kernersville, trust me on this hand selecting your materials is the best and only way to get the quality your looking for. Now there are rules, if it ain't then it ain't said, if you pull all the lumber off a pile and select a few boards then you restack the lumber, trust me when I say this that goes a long way to developing a relationship with these folks so when you do come up and place an order to be shipped you might get a better pull. Just some food for thought.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Eddie,
I, like Richard, buy local for most of my project wood whenever I can. However I have bought online from the Woodworker Source (https://www.woodworkerssource.com) they're in Phoenix AZ. I had the pleasure of going to one of their stores when I was out there and they gave me a behind the scenes tour which included lumber ready to be shipped. It was good quality and gave me confidence to order from them in the future. Just my two cents.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
Thanks,

There is a local supplier close by. I get my baltic birch plywood from them. They have some hardwoods but their selection, quality and price is terrible.

There are a couple hardwood wholesalers in Greenville, SC, Hood Distribution is one. I can't recall the second but that's a 3 hour round trip and I'd have to take off from work. Not lazy but I work at my family's business and if I take off it put us in a bind.

I emailed Hood Distribution several months ago for pricing but never got a replay, so they have no chance for my business, ever. The second company, also located around Greenville, said they have trucks coming to the Columbia area all the time. Just can't remember who they were. one of there delivery drivers happened to stop by our shop off I-26 one day. I could have sworn I bookmarked their company's website, guess I didn't.

I don't mind making a road trip on the weekend, if those ya'll mentioned are open on Saturday.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The OP is living in Lexington, SC not NC.

I found a few potential suppliers in the area that are worth checking out or calling.

Mann Tool & Supply in Columbia, SC has a showroom for browsing all things woodworking...9.6 mi via I20.

https://www.manntools.com/showroom

Tidewater Lumber in Greenville, SC appears to have a decent selection too.

http://www.tidewaterlumber.com/Lumber-s/8.htm

Hood Distribution in Greenville, SC also has lumber but you have to go there in person and they seem to be a snooty supplier that act like they're doing you a favor to take your money...

http://www.hooddistribution.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/HOOD_McEwen_CAT_3-12-151.pdf

cheryllewis

New User
cheryl
Eddie,

Welcome to a great bunch of woodworkers!

The Hardwood Store of NC,Inc. will be happy to ship to you. If you are ever in the area you are also more than welcome to come visit us and select your own material.

www.hardwoodstore.com

Thanks.

Cheryl

Hello,

New here so pls forgive me if this has been asked and answered. I did do a search but didn't find what i was looking for.

Without mentioning the company name, I have been buying hardwoods from a place recommended by the Wood Whispering Guy. Its been hit and miss with the quality I get since i can't pick out the boards myself and am at the mercy of what they send me.

I've not had an issue with the grading of the boards, they are always knot free. The problem is some are twisted. I have a 6" Powermatic jointer and a Dewalt lunchbox planner. I use a sled made of two layers of 3/4" plywood with an embedded t-track and inline clamp, similar to this: http://www.finewoodworking.com/2017/06/06/a-smarter-planer-sled-for-flattening-wide-stock. I can shim the boards and lock it down with the inline clamp. The board is stable and doesn't move.

The problem is by the time I get the board flat, its less than what I need for my project. Recently I bought 4/4 cherry, walnut and white oak. $200+ w/shipping. I was abler to get the white oak and walnut to a finished 3/4" but the cherry didn't flatten until 11/16 - 5/8".

I can't make anything from sawdust so I'm looking for a supplier that ships and doesn't ship junk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Eddie,

Welcome to a great bunch of woodworkers!

The Hardwood Store of NC,Inc. will be happy to ship to you. If you are ever in the area you are also more than welcome to come visit us and select your own material.

www.hardwoodstore.com

Thanks.

Cheryl
Plus Eddie - they pick out GREAT wood for you too!

tdukes

New User
Eddie
Thanks,

Mann Tool was the local supplier I was referring to where I buy baltic birch plywood. I prefer to buy locally when I can but they have priced themselves out of the park. They have recently 'expanded' their inventory, so maybe I need to re-visit. Awhile back, I factored in shipping I pay per BF, they were way out of line.

Hood, was the one I never got a reply.

I found Tidewater today. Will check them.

The other that I couldn't remember was Horizon. They sell mostly flooring and cabinet grade plywood but they also have hardwood.

Guess I'm going to have to take a day off from work, take a trailer to NC and load up.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
Thanks Cheryl,

I checked the distance to Gibsonville, NC, today. 3.1 hours one way. I buy about $200 a time as my budget allows. I've spent around $2K with Bellforest over the past 12 months and half was crap, 25% was shipping. I'll give you guys a try.

Opensightryan

New User
Ryan
I have to give a praise to Wall Lumber in Mayodan, NC. I've always had a good experience, once I was in a big rush and asked them to pick 100 bf of cherry, a single board of qs white oak, the darkest walnut board they had, and a good piece of purple heart. They picked better wood than I usually do. Biggest problem I have, is I just got a job with the town and now their just about a mile away. I tried to have my pay check just sent to them but the wife killed that.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks,

Mann Tool was the local supplier I was referring to where I buy baltic birch plywood. I prefer to buy locally when I can but they have priced themselves out of the park. They have recently 'expanded' their inventory, so maybe I need to re-visit. Awhile back, I factored in shipping I pay per BF, they were way out of line.

Guess I'm going to have to take a day off from work, take a trailer to NC and load up.

That makes sense!
Too bad they are pricing themselves out of line!

I think you will be happy with Cheryl and her crew. I will guess that once you visit and set their expectations, you may be able to have them pick and ship to you to save the trip, but if you are like the rest of us, it is a fun excursion!

I bet when I am there they think I am casing the joint - "Sir do you need any help? NOPE! just drooling around!"

Jeff

New User
Jeff
They have recently 'expanded' their inventory, so maybe I need to re-visit. Awhile back, I factored in shipping I pay per BF, they were way out of line.

Mann Tool. A few examples of their out of line pricing per bf would be helpful (you pick up) for comparison. Why would you have them ship it to you only 20 miles away instead of picking it up?

Here's the pricing for The Hardwood Store, also for comparison, if your gonna make a road trip. Added their shipping page, but Lexington, SC delivery pricing may be a kick in the teeth.

https://hardwoodstore.com/lumber-prices

POPpop214

New User
larry
if you are looking for very good quality wood , check out WEST PENN this place is fabulous. they have whatever you need,at good prices, and yes they ship. ROCKY[ owner ] and his staff, are fine people,and very helpful. this place is worth the time to visit from anywhere. www.westpennhardwoods.com. We have been there a few times,and always leave with a load of wood. check them out. I think there is a sale, going on now. welcome to the club poppop214

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
really wished they and others didn't close at 1 pm on Sat

if you are looking for very good quality wood , check out WEST PENN this place is fabulous. they have whatever you need,at good prices, and yes they ship. ROCKY[ owner ] and his staff, are fine people,and very helpful. this place is worth the time to visit from anywhere. www.westpennhardwoods.com. We have been there a few times,and always leave with a load of wood. check them out. I think there is a sale, going on now. welcome to the club poppop214

tdukes

New User
Eddie
Mann Tool. A few examples of their out of line pricing per bf would be helpful (you pick up) for comparison. Why would you have them ship it to you only 20 miles away instead of picking it up?

Here's the pricing for The Hardwood Store, also for comparison, if your gonna make a road trip. Added their shipping page, but Lexington, SC delivery pricing may be a kick in the teeth.

https://hardwoodstore.com/lumber-prices

I might not have been clear. Want I meant was Mann Tools price was about 25% higher per board foot than what I was buying online and having it shipped with the cost of shipping added to the price per board foot.

I plan to go back over there since they have since expanded their hardwood section. Like most anywhere, us included, if we buy enough parts and/or equipment, the manufacturer give us free freight.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I might not have been clear. Want I meant was Mann Tools price was about 25% higher per board foot than what I was buying online and having it shipped with the cost of shipping added to the price per board foot.

You weren't clear, and still aren't, now you have me confused too. :confused:

Mann Tools is 25% higher/bf. Are they shipping 20 miles to you too so the price skyrockets?

Online supplier is 25% less, but crappy warped wood, +shipping?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Jeff, I understand your confusion.

The way I understand the OP is that overall cost is lower when buying online, even when shipping charges are accounted for, than when buying at Mann Tools. Quality from his online purchases has not met expectations.

Last edited:

tdukes

New User
Eddie
Jeff, I understand your confusion.

The way I understand the OP is that overall cost is lower when buying online, even when shipping charges are accounted for, than when buying at Mann Tools. Quality from his online purchases has not met expectations.

That's what I was trying to say.

An example about 6 - 8 months ago, I purchased some 8/4 walnut online for $10/bf, nice clear wood. Happened to need a piece of baltic birch plywood for a jig so I went to Mann Tool where I buy it from. They have a lot of huge slabs and I never really paid attention to their hardwoods but I happened to spot a piece of 8/4 walnut. It had a large knot dead center and if, I remember correctly was marked $16.40/bf. Shipping on 5 bf was around $20, so that $4/bf. $10 + $4 is less than $16.40/bf + sales tax.

Hope this helps.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
I moved to SE GA and get lumber from Wall still. I have had them ship it to me as well. No issues, got what I wanted. Everything comes out the thickness I was looking for. I can't say good enough about them. Additionally, Scott from Quartersawnoak.com and Chris from SR Hardwoods are great to deal with and I have purchased from both. I can speak nothing but good about these three. I hear good things about many others but cannot provide first hand knowledge.

I think they have a good reputation but not sure if it applies to mail order

http://www.walllumber.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS