Hardware Placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Hey Folks,
I wanted to offer up some advice I have learned from trimming out furniture cases through the years. The right hardware in the right location can really set your work apart!
First, after you decide on knobs or pulls, do a simple sketch with the hardware. This will help give you an idea of whether to double trim a drawer or single trim (in center). This will also give you an idea of if you are double trimming how far in from the sides to place your hardware. I almost never put the hardware in the center (vertically) unless the drawer is up high, like the top drawers on a chest or lingerie (This is also related to the drawer width). Almost always, the hardware looks better 1/8 above center and even a little higher above center on the bottom drawers. It is also helpful to pull the drawer out and lay the hardware on the drawer to help you determine the right distance from the edge.
For Doors, its a little trickier. For a bottom door below your waist, I usually go slightly more than an 1/8 above center. Have a friend hold up the hardware up and stand back and look at it. This will allow you to see how it looks at different heights. The hardware on lower doors looks better above center, but you can go to far above center also. Armoire and Deck doors often depend on the height of the case or if they line up with frets or door mullions. Your better to hold them up on the case and make a judgement.
I often see hand crafted pieces where the hardware is always placed in the center. Try it a little above center, you might like it.

Buddy

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks for sharing the tip, Buddy. :icon_thum
Seems experience has made you a good teacher.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS