Hardware Heads-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
Just want to give a heads-up to anyone deciding to use the Ives (by Schlage) hardware sold at Home Depot. I have finally finished the kitchen utensil box that I made from some scrap pecan. I wanted to put a friction lid support on the piece that would not only hold the top up but prevent it from slamming shut. I went to Home Depot and saw that they had both Stanley and Ives hardware. I chose the Ives since I had never used it before to see if I liked it. Imagine my horror and anger when the first screw (#4 X 5/8" flat head) that I tried to install twisted off just below the surface of the wood.

I drilled the appropriate size pilot hole, put wax on the threads, and used a stubby screwdriver to ease the screw into the wood. However, the screw broke before it was half way into the wood. The screw appeared to be made from pot metal instead of steel or brass. When I called the Customer Service number to complain, they had no explanation and said that they were sorry.

Fortunately, I could move the hole over enough to get a screw into the wood and still have the broken screw covered by the hardware. Still, I had to drive 60 miles round-trip to get some decent screws.

So, if you decide to use the Ives Hardware, be sure to have some good screws on hand and don't depend on the screws provided.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Rick, that sucks, really sucks. I hate hardware in general, it is always my down fall or stumbling block on any project. I have found with hardware something that rings very true "You get what you pay for". I've bought screws from the BORG only to have them break easily, and good quality screws from Woodcraft and had no problems with them. It's hard to rationalize why a $20 hinge is better than a $6.95 hinge, but in general it is. Once you've put you heart into a project, it really sucks when the hardware screws it up.
My .02, Dave:)

jmauldin

New User
Jim
I know how you feel - been there done that and it SUCKS! It sound like you did everything to prevent such a problem. One thing I do whenever I use brass screws I will screw a steel screw into the hole first, then replace with brass. It takes more time and effort, but it seems to avoid such a problem as yours.
Jim in Mayberry

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Thanks for the heads up Rick. Unfortunately I have been there and done that too many times myself. I have started to use Jim's suggestion of installing a steel screw first we ever possible.

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS