Hardware for attaching french cleat to wall

Yelverton

Mitch
Senior User
I would NOT use ply. Every layer you counter bore through weakens the strength of the cleat. I strongly suggest solid hardwood even popular maybe 1 in. thick (5/4). You don't want that thing falling.

Pop
Good advice, I had been feeling a little iffy about the ply. Any others have thoughts about hardwood v ply for the cleat?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Ply is fine if you use a #14 x 3 inch countersink phillips head screw, two in each stud. That cleat should hold close to 1000 pounds.

Graywolf

Richard
Corporate Member
My lumber rack in my space is hanging on a French cleat and carries a few hundred pounds. It's held to the wall with 2 1/2 #9 wood screws through a piece of poplar and hanging on 2x4 pine reinforced with plywood. No washers, I do hope this helps.
IMG_1154.JPG

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Almost (and I only say almost because someone will mention their brothers cousins mother-in-law if I don’t) all cabinets in Europe are hung on French cleats. They take their cabinets with them when they move.

DaltonEdmonds

New User
Dalton
I believe screws would hold just fine. I have used them with great success in the past. I like the idea of using the cabinet screw as it combines the washer and screw set up. i will add another product to think about. These would work well. they are designed for structural components. I have not used this particular product, but used their Timberlok screws. Absolutely love them, they drive way easier than lags and are strong enough to replace a 3/8 lag screw.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS