Hard maple? Soft maple? Birch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Temp626

New User
Tom
Years ago I purchased a large lot of what I was told was hard maple. I have since been told that it probably consists of hard and soft maple along with white birch.

The dimensions are roughly.... 2" x 2.5" x 4-6'. I have approx. 50-70 pcs.

does anyone have an easy way to identify each species from the others.

thanks for any help you can give.

tom

TBradley190

New User
Tim
The only way I can tell hm from sm is hm weighs a little more and the grain is a bit more prominant, but its not easy to tell the difference. I'm sure some on here will give you more information.

Tim

DWSmith

New User
David
Hard maple has an orange cast to its color in the rough. Soft maple is more creamy colored in the rough.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Maple is heavier than birch. When I worked in the cabinet factory, the dark stains on some of those doors made it difficult sometimes and I had to be quick about it. Cherry is even lighter than birch. If it is not a clear weight difference, it is probably the same wood.

SawBuck

New User
Lonnie
Hi Tom, I have some birch scraps you can have for comparison to your lumber. Having pieces of identified stock in hand may be the easiest way to sort out the lot. Shoot me a PM if you want some.

-Lonnie

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A scientifically objective identification can be obtained free of charge from the USDA Forest Products Laboratory. Details for sample submission are given below and an email contact link is provided.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/research/centers/woodanatomy/wood_idfactsheet.php

There is also a subtle ferrous sulfate color test to differentiate hard and soft maple that you can do in your home shop. Birch can give a false positive suggesting that it's hard maple, but the density (weight) and softness between the two will be dramatically different. Ferrous sulfate is available at most lawn and garden stores; the leftovers can be used in the landscape as well.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/differences-between-hard-maple-and-soft-maple/

Sorting and grouping about 75 pieces by apparent weight and appearance is a task, but probably worth the effort as a first try. You may end up with 3 piles of samples to submit for positive id. :eek:

Temp626

New User
Tom
lonnie, that would be great. i would love to try that approach first to maybe sort out some of the lot. you can email me at temp626@aol.com and we can go from there.

thank you,

tom

Temp626

New User
Tom
jeff, thanks for all that info. you are right it would be a huge task to go thru all of that lumber at this point. i may postpone that chore in hope of finding another solution.

thanks again,

tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS