HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
It's on sale again!

Screenshot_20240124_095521_Chrome.jpg

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Over the years watching HFT, one realizes that the prices in the coupons and during 'sales' are 'the' prices and waiting 'till they reappear is the only way to deal at HFT. Once on their mailing list, you'll discover that their 'sales' never end. Rather they simply rotate the items and change the 'sale' formats.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Heck, for a small weekend warrior woodshop, that is a decent price. I think I paid $205, so yeah, the "sales price" isn't truly a sales price, imo.

Still, swap out the impeller for the larger Rikon, and install a 6" intake, instead of the 2 4" intake. Turn this into a 2-stage DC with a large cyclone, then exhaust outside or get a nice filter.

Great 2-stage DC for 1 tool at a time, imo.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I agree with Rory. I didn't do exactly what he suggested but close. Mine pulls through one 5 inch line and exhausts out a 6 inch line through the wall. The HF motor/blower sit on top of a super dust deputy. I have metal blast gates and open only one at a time. I used it just today on several tools including a lunchbox planner over 20 feet from the DC. Worked fine just like always. I do not have the Rikon impeller.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
If I could, I'd exhaust outside. 😢

I purchased my HF DC in 2018 and it is still going strong. If this thing blows anytime soon, I'd buy another. Just swap the Rikon impeller and be done.
If I had more CFM demanding machines\tools, sure, I'd consider an alternative option, but for the "weekend garage" warrior... why not.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I just found a canister filter for mine on ebay for $70.

Does the Rikon impeller move more air or is the benefit the fact that it's metal rather than plastic and won't break?

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Hopefully the filter is a high Merv rating and has a large filter area.

The Rikon is metal, larger diameter, and I believe the fins are reversed. Not sure how the original/stock HF impeller was, but my upgraded HF really sucks! 😂

At the time, I think the impeller cost me $119? Again, this was around 2018.

With the HF DC, impeller upgrade, Wynn filter, 35 gallon bin, and larger Oneida cyclone, I think I am out the door around $800-900?

Not sure if that's a great deal, or if there is something currently on the market that's cheaper & better, but that's the ballpark for what I paid.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
The Wen impeller is currently $49.99 with free shipping.

Echd

C
User
If you get lucky you can sometimes score the shop fox model on amazon as an open box. They're essentially the same unit but already have the impeller upgrade.

You can buy an adapter here to increase to a 6 inch diameter fitting but it is not cheap.

If you pull the 4 inch adapter off aren't you left with a 6 inch inlet? On mine I just attached it with a metal pipe clamp to run to my dust deputy.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
You can buy an adapter here to increase to a 6 inch diameter fitting but it is not cheap.

Forget that. I cut an opening and attached one of these:

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
If you get lucky you can sometimes score the shop fox model on amazon as an open box. They're essentially the same unit but already have the impeller upgrade.

If you pull the 4 inch adapter off aren't you left with a 6 inch inlet? On mine I just attached it with a metal pipe clamp to run to my dust deputy.
I haven't looked at the Shop Fox, but if that's another option, why not.

With the HF, I took off the 4" plastic adapter, that splits to 2 tools, and that's all my inlet on the DC was... 1 4" inlet.

Maybe they redesigned the HF DC?

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I have the older green version of the HF.
It has a 5 inch inlet that has a stock plastic wye fitting attached, that feeds two 4 inch lines.
I saw a test online where a plastic printer was used to make a single 5 inch to 4 inch adapter for the HF DC. It had no effect on the performance. I have one side of the wye capped on mine. I only need one line at a time.

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
I have what looks like this DC from HF that I bought in the late 90s as an on line order before they had a store reasonably close by. It has a single suction line. The only problem I have ever had was longish chips blocking the suction screen several times. An easy fix to pull the suction face plate and clean. I use the little cart for a delta 14 band saw.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Went over to a buddy's shop last weekend where he had his DC vented outdoors. He was (understandably) very reluctant to run the thing with the cold weather with his NG space heater chugging along too.

Just pointing out that should be a consideration. If you heat/cool your shop take into consideration what you will pump out the wall when using the DC.

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
I vent my HF DC outdoors and have climate controlled shop. Yes I lose some of my heated/cooled air but it really isn’t that bad. I do not leave it running Unnecessarily though. I have each tool Plummed in to 4” pvc with blast gates and the DC on remote.

HF Dc has done a great job for me. I did not upgrade impeller either.

NYTransplant

Tim
Corporate Member
I did the full boat HF upgrade to a two-stage including the impeller. I have a 6" main and 4" drops. It works great. Keep in mind the HF dust bag filters out the big stuff and lets the stuff through that's most dangerous to your health.

IMG_1904.JPG

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS