Handy tape measure

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
This $1 estate sale purchase has an action that I have long desired for one-handed measuring. As the tape extends, a ratchet automatically keeps it from retracting. The black button releases the ratchet when done. Both imperial and metric graduations is another nice feature.
IMG_5113.jpeg

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Just a reminder that I have noticed one of my tape measures does not match my more accurate 6 inch ruler.
My small Keychain Milwaukee tape measure with imperial and metric matches better than my other which I think is the same as in the above post. If memory serves

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I measured all my tapes against a Starrett. Why do I have 9 tape measures? :oops:

The most accurate was a Komelon. The worst was a DeWalt and Stanley was bad, too. Off by as much as 1/16 in 12".

My fav for construction is a self locking Milwaukee.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I measured all my tapes against a Starrett. Why do I have 9 tape measures? :oops:

The most accurate was a Komelon. The worst was a DeWalt and Stanley was bad, too. Off by as much as 1/16 in 12".

Wow! Can you determine if it's the "inside/outside" end catch or is it really a run-out issue? Do you get the same 1/16" in 24 inches?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member

I find that interesting, I’ve used the Stanley power lock 2 for decades doing trim and cabinet work. Now when used daily and in adverse conditions they all wear out. I generally go through two thirty foot tapes a year. In my shop I use a sixteen foot tape. All the Stanley power lock 2. Now I’ve tried many other brands over the years and I have always gone back to the Stanley product. So if your experience was the Stanley FatMax product then I understand why you dinged Stanley.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
For general use in the woodworking shop, I still like the old Stanley lever lock. Like Pop-Pop's nice tape, the lever lock stays open until you push the bottom lever and then it retracts. I have to check all tapes from time to time because the hook gets bent and knocks things out a bit. The Komelon I bought after reading about them here is also a great tape measure but its just a bit bulky and heavy compared to the Stanley Lever Lock. There's no question in my mind that the Komelon is a much better made tape measure.

1     leverlock - 1.jpg

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
About 10 years ago I helped a carpenter put baseboard and quarter round in my neighbors house. He taught me a lot, and gave me this.
IMG_0049.jpeg

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
So if your experience was the Stanley FatMax product then I understand why you dinged Stanley.
Yes it was Fat max.

I would point out the absolute accuracy is not as important as using the same tape throughout the project. They do vary. Maybe not by much but for things like cabinet boxes and trim, maybe enough to matter.

8stackhemi

New User
Scotty
I needed a tape measure for both imperial and metric and bought this.

View attachment 226899

Its blade is self-locking. It was $10, though.
of the many i have, i love my Komelon self lock 30' evolution model. It has the high visibility tape, plus it's a full 1" wide for 'long' measurements. Fair price at Lowe's for $9 & some change.

Komelon Self-Lock Evolution 30-ft​

WessB

Wess
User
Never thought I needed another tape measure, until reading this thread. I just ordered the Komelon as well.
Thanks for all of the posts and reviews.

Wess

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS