Handsaw sharpening

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bill Anderson teaches the hand saw sharpening class at Roy's School in Pittsboro, but he's been on medical leave from the school this year. Not sure how serious his condition is. He is a member (handle willarda) so you might PM him to see if he's up to it. He is in the Chapel Hill area.

I'm pretty sure Klingspor can take them and send them out to be sharpened. Check with the store for details and to make sure my memory is good. Other's here may be able to help also.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
what size saw and tooth count? It's not too hard to do yourself -especially if it's just a touch up. Just need the right size saw file and mill/bastard file. Again if it's just a touch up, you won't have to set the teeth. Lots of good videos and tutorials out there.

Lie Nielsen has a video, Paul Sellers has a nice video, and others I'm sure. Paul Sellers has a nice instruction on a saw vise -two thin boards screwed together and held in a bench vise.

here's a primer:
http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/primer/sharp.html

sharpening is pretty straightforward if you take your time. Re-setting can be tricky if you overset a couple of teeth and then spend days trying to figure out why the saw gets stuck halfway through the cut.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you have time to come to Walnut Cove one Saturday, I can teach you to sharpen your saws and help you get the tools you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS