Handsaw Sharpening

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Is there anyone in the Charlotte area that is experienced at sharpening old handsaws? I picked up a few a while back and would like to make them usable. One of the saws I filed in a rip pattern and it seems to work quite well, cuts nicely and tracks straight. The other 2 are crosscut and I have buggered one up quite nicely:eusa_doh:I'd love some help if there is any available!

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
If you can find some of the old saw sharpening literature from Disston, Aktins, Simmons (and Others) they are great and lots of tips and tricks. I'm sure some of these are available in their entirety on-line, just do a search. There's also an older book called "Cabinetmaking and Millwork" by Feirer that has a good section on saw sharpening, plus a wealth of 800-900 pages of other woodworking info. Just get your hands on some of these articles and study up on it, it's not that hard and you'll get fairly good results the first time if you follow the instructions. All of the sharpening tools are pretty easy to find in the old tool world and they're fairly inexpensive. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS