Handplanes and a NCWoodworker Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
To start, earlier this week my father in law gave me a # 4 Stanley Baily plane that was in pretty rough shape. Half of the tote was missing and the top of the frog broken off. I thought for the most part it was junk, but when research, dated it between 1902 and 1907, I started changing my thinking, and I could not put this old workhorse out to pasture.

Meanwhile I had been giving thought to see what James Davis had to sell. After a couple of phone conversations, he had just the ticket. A #4 parts plane and a #5, so you guessed right, I made the 30 min drive to Roxboro this afternoon. James was a pleasure to talk and visit with, he made sure the frog of the parts lane fit my plane's body and I left with not just 1 but 2 usable planes.

On the left is the #4 my father in law gave me, it will probable take some work. The center is the parts one. and on the right is #5. Just a little cleaning and sharpen the iron and it should be good to go.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Major score!

James is first class with an inflight meal!

Keep us updated on your plane progress. Those gems work their ways into our hearts (and boards!).

Jim

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Yes he is, and yes he will. I forgot to add that as I was getting ready to leave I commented something along the lines that what I had should be enough. James promptly responded "No it wont." I will take his word for it because he knows what he is talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS