Handplane Workshop - sponsored by Triangle Woodworkers Association

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rickc

As a bit of a heads up, the Triangle Woodworkers Association May meeting will be covering the subject of handplanes. Club members will be able to sign up to attend a workshop covering handplane usage.

I realize this is a shameless plug for the club, but at this point dues are $35/year, with a discount of $5 if you get the club newsletter electronically. Several of the sponsors offer discounts (normally 10%) to members. You can see the sponsors and offered discounts by looking at the most recent newsletter at the TWA site.

Let's face it - for the cost of a 3 or 4 hour workshop in some places, you get access to programs such as these and discounts that would allow SOME of you to recoup club dues on a single project!

This site is a great forum, but there is a lot to be said for face-to-face conversations with your fellow woodworkers. Plus, there are quite a few of the participants on this site, who have joined the club as well. Oftentimes there is mention of site participants getting together for meals or workshops, etc. This is a great chance to do just that. Tell them I sent you!

See agenda below:

May Meeting – Hand Planes

Although it is a little ways away, members may like to have additional notice for the meeting and accompanying workshop.
1.Tuning and Sharpening: The first part of the workshop will focus on tuning and sharpening handplanes (smoothing planes and block planes in particular) to get the most out of their performance. We will talk about where to obtain good planes, what to look for, and what to avoid.

2.Handplaning Skills. The second phase will cover basic handplaning techniques using scrub, jack, jointing and smoothing planes to finish a piece of rough stock. We will focus on reading the grain, working with figured woods with the goal to achieve a finishable surface. This part will also involve the use of winding sticks, marking and panel gauges to finish out the work.

3.Joinery. We will make various woodworking joinery including tongue and groove, rabbet, dado, and mortise and tenon, using planes. Part of this will involve exploring alternative routes to achieving the same end result.

4.Moulding. Once we have a finished piece of stock we will move on to the use of planes to generate decorative elements (hollow and rounds, beading, coves, etc). We will explore what to look for in molding planes at flea markets, how to sharpen molding plane blades, and selection of stock and consideration of grain for molding.

This workshop has space for a total of 10 participants and still has openings! We will spend the weekend working with a variety of planes to surface rough boards, cut moldings, make various types of joinery with planes and generally have an opportunity to explore the uses and advantages of hand plane woodworking. All planes will be supplied, although you are encouraged to bring your own planes to use or to tune up. Contact Bill Anderson (willardanderson@bellsouth.net or 919-932-6050) for details. The workshop will cost $30 for one day (Saturday only) or $50 for Saturday and Sunday, and will be held at Tom Ferone's workshop in Raleigh. Workshop dates are May 20 and 21.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I second what Rick has said. The TWA is a great way to meet members of this site and others who enjoy woodworking too. Plus the TWA participates in great philanthropic programs and holds very informative, interesting and well done educational programs. I would look forward to see more of y'all there.

Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Rick, that sounds like a great workshop planned for May. Hopefully I can attend at least one of the days if not both.

D L

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
DaveO and I talked about this some today. Can I go to the meeting this month and join then or do I have to do it in advance? Speaking of which, can I sign up for the hand plane thing then?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Travis you are more than welcome at the meeting, without joining. I would think that they would want you to be a "paid" member to attend the plane workshop. A large amount of the members dues go to pay for the speakers and workshops. That is one of the great things about the club, along with the discounts at various cool stores, opportunities to participate in very worthy charitable causes, and the chance to meet your fellow woodworkers face to face. I hope to see you at the next meeting and for some grub before at Buff. Bros. (6:00 ish)

Dave:)

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
so am I to assume that the twa meets on the 21st this month? I will totally be there if that's the case. I would love to join up, if they'll have me :cool:

R

rickc

m081779 said:
so am I to assume that the twa meets on the 21st this month? I will totally be there if that's the case. I would love to join up, if they'll have me :cool:

Yes, that is correct. The meeting starts at 7:30, but a number of us meet for dinner at Buffalo Bros. Pizza and Wings at 6 pm. If you come by, ask for the woodworkers group. You are more than welcome.

R

rickc

For anyone considering joining, please do feel free to drop by and check out a meeting. No obligation! In fact, you can check out a couple if you want. But I think you will see that for the money, you can't go wrong!

Meetings are normally on the 3rd Tuesday of each month. There are occasional exceptions. I will try to remember to post meeting dates and times each month on the member announcement section in case anyone wants to come on by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS