Handplane Till

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
In order to free up additional drawer space I wanted to build a wall till for my planes with a modified a plan from The Wood Whisperer. The only restrictions I imposed on myself was that I wanted to build it with materials I had on hand, no trips to Klingspor, Home Depot, etc. All things considered, I am very pleased with the final result. There are a few flaws that I wouldn't tolerate with house furnishings, but in the shop I can live with them. I used baltic birch ply (1/2" & 3/4"), sapele, maple edge banding, 8" drawer slides, as well as 3/8" and 1/4" cylindrical magnets. The till in mounded to the wall with a french cleat. The magnets provide a secure hold for all the planes with the exception of the small 102 block plane; I forgot that it is a white bronze cast hence no magnetic properties. I'll have to figure something out for it, but I am not too worried.

View attachment 215483
A37585C0-E1EB-4AF5-AF8B-538313D2FB5C(2).jpg

Attachments

• A994346D-C6B0-4C73-ACBA-4221F02B1791.jpeg
    A994346D-C6B0-4C73-ACBA-4221F02B1791.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well I think that will do just fine. Congratulations, you made it look pretty.

Reactions: drw

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice, but I am not sure you took into account that I have more planes, so I guess you will have to keep this nice one and make another for me! :p :cool:

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I really appreciate all of your "likes" and kind comments! In reference to Hank's comment, David Turner (who sold me a couple of my planes) warned me that collecting planes can become a "disease"; consequently, I am trying to minimize my chances of catching it by intentionally leaving little room for expansion - I am hoping it works!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Donn ......... won't work, I tried. I did good with only 3 planes for a while, but then the malignancy just takes a life of its own ......... :oops: :D

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I really appreciate all of your "likes" and kind comments! In reference to Hank's comment, David Turner (who sold me a couple of my planes) warned me that collecting planes can become a "disease"; consequently, I am trying to minimize my chances of catching it by intentionally leaving little room for expansion - I am hoping it works!
HEY!
It is NOT a disease... but maybe like a boat owner, I just need a little more room...
When the plane till is full and the tool box is full and no more fit on top of the freezer... hmmmm

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors