Hand saw restoration and sharpening workshop

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
This is a feeler post to find out what the interest if any in western style handsaw restoration and sharpening.
If we can put together enough interest let’s say 6 participants then I would like to put this on.
This workshop will cover assessing a saw for its future usability, ie is it worth restoring at your skill level. The material and tools needed to succeed in this type of restoration. We will cover disassembly, cleaning the parts, blade cleaning will include attempting to preserve an etch. Smithing the blade will include straightening a bow or a bend, removing kinks. Restoring the handle will include repairs and refinishing. Re-sharpening will include tooth line condition and assessing what needs to be done. There is a lot of material to cover in this subject. Most workshops elsewhere take a week to cover this and I’m not going tell you it can be done in a day. It’s not. We can do an over view of this subject and introduce you to resources to help you along.
if you are interested please leave a post and we will go from there.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
This is a feeler post to find out what the interest if any in western style handsaw restoration and sharpening.
If we can put together enough interest let’s say 6 participants then I would like to put this on.
This workshop will cover assessing a saw for its future usability, ie is it worth restoring at your skill level. The material and tools needed to succeed in this type of restoration. We will cover disassembly, cleaning the parts, blade cleaning will include attempting to preserve an etch. Smithing the blade will include straightening a bow or a bend, removing kinks. Restoring the handle will include repairs and refinishing. Re-sharpening will include tooth line condition and assessing what needs to be done. There is a lot of material to cover in this subject. Most workshops elsewhere take a week to cover this and I’m not going tell you it can be done in a day. It’s not. We can do an over view of this subject and introduce you to resources to help you along.
if you are interested please leave a post and we will go from there.
Richard, I would be interested

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Interesting yes, depends on distance from me. Where would this workshop be done?
This more than likely be held a Bill Clemmons shop in Liberty NC. Yes I know Greer is a haul. But you have to understand I live in High Point NC

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Liberty is less than an hour drive from Winston.

Carabnr

Cara
User
I would love to come, I'm working on a few now. I'm really enjoying it so far. Been sharpening some and bending... Messed up one saw setting the teeth, and broke a few off. Apparently some old saw were tempered too hard and teethe can break.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
We talk too much when I come to your place...if it makes you feel better I'll sign up for a class you host ;)
I've tried that down here a few times over the years but interest has always been almost non-existent. Perhaps I'll try again in the future....

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
I've tried that down here a few times over the years but interest has always been almost non-existent. Perhaps I'll try again in the future....
I would be interested in a hand tool basics class towards the coast or even a one on one session if someone offers one nearby

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
I would be very interested in the course not sure about the distance from Caldwell county but well worth the drive. Look forward to more information.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I would be interested in a hand tool basics class towards the coast or even a one on one session if someone offers one nearby
I would be very interested in the course not sure about the distance from Caldwell county but well worth the drive. Look forward to more information.

Will and Rick, I've added both of you to the list. Once we announce a date you can decide if you want to make the drive. The zip for Liberty, NC is 27298, if that helps.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors