Hand Planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
On a recent business trip to CA I swung by home to spend a few days with my folks. My Dad gave me some wooden transitional hand planes that belonged to my Granddad. Here is what was included in the recent tool haul:

1) Stanley #122
2) Stanley #127
3) Stanley #129
4) Bridge Tool Co plane similar to the Stanley #127
5) An Ohio Tool Company coffin shaped smoother
6) A Miller Falls #85

The top four planes are all wooden transitional planes and the three Stanley planes were manufactured sometime between 1877 and 1917. The Miller Falls plane is complete with fence, depth stop, and nicker. The wooden planes are not in the best of shape but have sentimental value. Additional photos are in my album under the "Tool" category.

D L

WoodTransitionalPlanes.JPG

MillerFalls.JPG

Monty

New User
Monty
They look like they're in great shape to me! I bet they'll work just fine... probably end up being among your favorite tools. The history behind them is priceless.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
wow DL that's awesome, I think you are sucking over the limit now!:mrgreen: Unfortunately no woodworkers in my family that date back to any classic tools but me grandfather did pass along a Winchester model '94 30/30 with an octagon barrel that was my great grandfather's so I can't really complain. It won't smooth much wood but nobody better come messin' 'round my shop.:mrgreen:

Last edited:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hi D.L.,

I was given a plane that belonged to my great grandfather and I have been trying to at least put a date to it. It looks very similar to the plane in your pic on the extreme right!

DSC00836.JPG

DSC00840.JPG

Were you able to find out approximately when it would have made/used? Mine really doesn't have any markings other than his own name stamped on it. (Could it be just an old hand-made craftsman type plane?)

Thanks,

Wayne

sapwood

New User
Roger
A great legacy DL. And you must be a pretty good kid to have earned the honor of having them handed down to you. :mrgreen:

The Miller Falls is a beaut :icon_thum

Sapwood

4yanks

New User
Willie
Nice looking group of planes. I love transitionals. OK, I love planes period. Its nice to see that tools are still considered heirlooms.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
What a nice group of family heirlooms to get passed down to you. They're in great shape and will certainly be something you'll be proud of. You may already know this, and I'm sure it will appeal to your patriotic nature, but the 3 Stanley planes are what they called the "Liberty Bell" series that was created to commemorate 100 years of freedom for the first centennial in 1876. Notice the liberty bell on the lever caps. They continued to make the planes until 1918. Nice planes D.L.!!

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Canuk said:
Hi D.L.,

I was given a plane that belonged to my great grandfather and I have been trying to at least put a date to it. It looks very similar to the plane in your pic on the extreme right!

DSC00836.JPG

DSC00840.JPG

Were you able to find out approximately when it would have made/used? Mine really doesn't have any markings other than his own name stamped on it. (Could it be just an old hand-made craftsman type plane?)

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne, the plane I have like yours does not have the metal sole on it. The only markings I have seen are on the blade which reads "Ohio Tool Co." I am not sure when it was manufactured. Unfortunately the toe on that plane is split and has a rivet added from side to side to hold it together.

D L

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Ozzie-x said:
What a nice group of family heirlooms to get passed down to you. They're in great shape and will certainly be something you'll be proud of. You may already know this, and I'm sure it will appeal to your patriotic nature, but the 3 Stanley planes are what they called the "Liberty Bell" series that was created to commemorate 100 years of freedom for the first centennial in 1876. Notice the liberty bell on the lever caps. They continued to make the planes until 1918. Nice planes D.L.!!

Thanks for the comments Randy. I read some of that on the "Blood and Gore" site but was not aware of the history as to why the Liberty Bell was added. Thanks for the info. All three of the Liberty Bell planes appear to be in pretty good shape.

D L

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
DL, awesome looking treasures. Now what will be your next project so they can be put to good use. If nothing else they could use a beautiful wall cabinet to be hung proudly somewhere in the house.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
lwhughes149 said:
DL, awesome looking treasures. Now what will be your next project so they can be put to good use. If nothing else they could use a beautiful wall cabinet to be hung proudly somewhere in the house.

Thanks Lorraine. I plan to clean and tune them and build a nice display cabinet out in the shop where they will be close at hand to be put to use.

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS