Halfway decent hand saws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Maybe I've been watching too much of the Woodwright's shop, but I want to get a few hand saws. Right now, I have an old, rusty ripsaw that doesn't rip, and a blunt backsaw that doesn't...back? In fact, whenever I can't use any of my power saws and I have to cut something, I use a little cheap pullsaw that's used for cutting door trim (bought it when I was doing some tiling...). Needless to say, I'm not a happy neanderer.

So I looked at Home Depot, Lowe's, Craftsman for some simple hand saws. Most of them are good for carpentry, not woodworking. I don't need any fancy Japanese Sakesushi saws, just something that I can use with ease, then toss when it loses its edge. Any recommendations? I'm looking at spending roughly $15 - $30 per saw.

Bas.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I use a Dozuki saw from Woodcraft, for 99% of my handcutting. It has a replaceable blade, starts very easy, tracks very straight, and cuts with a smooth thin kerf.

dozuki08.jpg

They're only about $40 or so. Pretty cheap for a good saw, IMO

Dave:)

nelsone

New User
Ed
Your biggest decision will be Japanese or western saws. I don't know much about the Japanese saws, so I'll leave those comments to others. If you want western saws I would recommend looking for an older Diston. You can either learn to sharpen it yourself or send it to someplace like Cooke's. Or there are several folks making some very nice saws. Check out Mike Wenzloff's saws. He's a really good guy and will help you if you have questions. Personally, I'd stay away from the stuff the big boxes carry. Let us know what you decide!

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Bas, If you can afford to toss the saw when it dulls, more power to you. Perhaps it's the Scotsman that frightened my mother when she was carrying me, but I'm more inclined to spend a few minutes sharpening a tool. Planes, chisels, scrapers, and saws have been sharpened by woodworkers for centuries. And I wasn't born with the knowledge of how to do it. I learned from reading and the old trial and error method.

Take a look at http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guid...259/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_1/102-3979715-2399313
This is a book that can show you how to save time and money and give lots of satisfaction in being able to say, "I did it!"

There are websites too that offer instructions on how to do it. I'll let you do the Google.

Roy

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Bas,

You are on the edge of a great cliff and contemplating jumping off to see if you can fly......

If you have good brand, old handsaws, they are easily brought back to life. Given they are not too bent. Look down the line of teeth, if they look like a snake with a bad back, then don't bother.

http://www.vintagesaws.com/ has some fantastic and free guides to sharpening and restoring old saws.

If you want the guide, I suggest the Tom Law DVD on Handsaw Sharpening. Worth its weight in gold.

Most "new" saws are crap. Stamped steel and very hard teeth that cannot be sharpened.

In the $15-$30 range, I think you will find the saws come up short or need work.

With a few files and a bit of time, you can take any old "Disston" type saw and make it work like new. And, a shapened western style hand saw cuts in ways that make your wood-dna come to life and dance a jig!

OR......

Look at bow saws. Not the kind you see on camping trips. They can do amazing work, and the blades can be had at a decent price. I'm just starting to play with them. Can't yet say if they I like them "better", I think it's just a matter of personal preference.

Just my opinion of course :)

Jim

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Mike - thanks for the recommendation. Looks like a good, solid saw. I had heard the name Bahco before (didn't they use to make a really popular crescent style wench?), didn't know they're now Sandvik.

Dave/ Ed - I had not thought about Japanese saws yet. Just shows you how much I know...I really like that little pull saw I have right now, so maybe I should take a look at them. I saw some "Shark" Japanese saws at Sears, they have some pretty good reviews online. Price is reasonable too.

Ed/ Roy - I agree with you it's better to buy a quality saw and then maintain it. But, I can't get it all at once. Mike Wenzloff's saws look fantastic. I am pretty sure I will one day own saws like that. It's all a matter of priorities. I have a Jack plane from Lee Veritas and absolutely love the thing. Not cheap though. I also want a block plane of the same quality, but settled for a Stanley block plane in the mean time. It does the job.

As to sharpening, I'm still learning how to maintain my chisels, plane irons and card scrapers. So much to learn. I'm pretty sure I can get several years of use out of a saw in the $15-$30 range, upgrade, and then learn how to sharpen that one.

Jim - the two saws I have right now are NOT quality. Modern crap as you described it. I plan to toss them as soon as I have something to replace them. I want something between modern crap and Mike Wenzloff's saws....if there is such a thing. If such a saw costs $40 instead of $30, then that's what I'll get.

Great suggestion on the bow saw, now there is an exciting looking tool. I have a band saw, but it doesn't always give you the kind of fine control a hand tool can give you. I'd rather spend a few minutes of elbow grease sawing than two hours of elbow grease sanding off burn marks.

I realize that I asked for advice and am basically rejecting a lot of it. Cardinal sin of posting. But, I did ask for "halfway decent" hand saws :)

Thanks for all your suggestions. I do appreciate the input.

Bas.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Bas, being a lefty (I guess), I could not get a grip :)eusa_doh:) on using the Japanese saws. willarda lives in chapel hill, and maybe you can pick his brain for pointers.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Bas, I've picked up a few good old Diston saws at antique/junk stores and a couple at a store in Greenville called Retool. I think there are other Retools around. I always look in the store when I go by ...... never know what you'll find.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
Bas, Go with japan. They are very sharp, very inexpensive, and easy to replace. I'm a lefty and have had no problems with any saw.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I have, and use, both Western and japanese saws. They are different but I like western style better. It' s more agressive and I find easier to use use on hardwoods when making multiple cuts. I also have found that Japanese saws cot better for the money. So if you don't want to, or can't, spent the money on a decent western saw, buy japanese.

Just my two cents.

Jimmy

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Sounds good. I'd like to be able to use both styles, so I'll go Japanese for now. In the mean time, I'll keep an eye out for good used saws. I need to get into the habit of looking for those regularly, just to see if you get lucky. And then I'll be back with lots of restoration questions :)

Thanks everyone.

Bas.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Raleigh Saw will sharpen your old saws to work like new if they are not damaged. They will tell you when you drop them off if they are salvageable.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS