Half-Price Laser Engraver - Pre Order Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Glow Forge

I have wanted one for a long time but knew I didn't have the skill or time to build one or the money for an Epilog. However, thanks to the link Kevin provided, I found out that this one requires the Internet to use so it is not for me.

Last edited:

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
I want to thank Kevin for posting that discussion. My search didn't turn that up. It seems that most of the people (way more knowledgeable about lasers than I am) are saying it will be a good machine but not strong enough for production use or thin materials. Please look at the specs carefully and make sure it is something you that will suit your needs. The SawMill Creek discussion pointed out that you need Internet access to use it.

Last edited:

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Glow Forge

I have wanted one for a long time but knew I didn't have the skill or time to build one or the money for an Epilog. However, thanks to the link Kevin provided, I found out that this one requires the Internet to use so it is not for me.

I was very interested in it until I saw the same thing. If you rely on them to run software over the internet, what happens in a few years when they decide to no longer support your older model, and you have to do a $1000 upgrade to continue using your older model. Or they decide that you have to have a monthly subscription to continue to use the machine.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Any form of cloud computing or storage is a deal breaker for me. And not just in the context of something like this laser device.

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
Ok, I'm going to jump in with my 2 cents. Having been doing as a business for the last 6 years I have some opinions to share.

1. This is definitely a area that you get what you pay for. Even though they claim to be made in the US, many of the parts shown on them look identical to the stuff coming out of China. The ones completely made in the US are head and shoulders above anything out of China. It is like comparing a industrial sawstop to a contractor saw from Harbor Freight. They both will do the job when new but the accuracy and longevity are questionable. My Universal laser is over 10 years old and When I call Scottsdale the service and support is the same as it was the day it was new. These people bend over backwards to help you any way they can and never charge a dime for support. Any firmware or driver upgrades also are supplied at no cost. The company has been around since 1988 and are very well known in the industry. They don't spend near as much on advertising as Epilog but both machines are the standard for what they do.

2. From what my research and other contacts in the business have told me, the Chinese machines have many issues. First of all they are water cooled where as both Epilog and Universal are air cooled. That means you need to have a water chiller and it is one more piece of equipment to fail. My laser still has the orginal tube in it and it is still going strong after all this time. I have heard of Chinese tubes lasting as little as 20 hours. One problem with most of the lower cost lasers is that you never know if or for how long parts will be available. Without parts it becomes a boat anchor and those of us with Delta machines know what that can be like. The cloud part of this machine is a big red flag to me for the reason that others have expressed. They have to much control over your purchase.

3. There are additional things you need such as an exhaust system, a compressor for air assist and software so the laser is like a lathe in that it is only the begining in spending department.

4. It took me almost 2 years working full time to become what I felt was proficient in using my laser to it's full advantage as well many dollars of scrap learning the hard way.

If I wasn't using the laser almost full time as a business, there is no way I could could justify having one.

Just my 2 cents.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Ok, I'm going to jump in with my 2 cents. Having been doing as a business for the last 6 years I have some opinions to share.

1. This is definitely a area that you get what you pay for. Even though they claim to be made in the US, many of the parts shown on them look identical to the stuff coming out of China. The ones completely made in the US are head and shoulders above anything out of China. It is like comparing a industrial sawstop to a contractor saw from Harbor Freight. They both will do the job when new but the accuracy and longevity are questionable. My Universal laser is over 10 years old and When I call Scottsdale the service and support is the same as it was the day it was new. These people bend over backwards to help you any way they can and never charge a dime for support. Any firmware or driver upgrades also are supplied at no cost. The company has been around since 1988 and are very well known in the industry. They don't spend near as much on advertising as Epilog but both machines are the standard for what they do.

2. From what my research and other contacts in the business have told me, the Chinese machines have many issues. First of all they are water cooled where as both Epilog and Universal are air cooled. That means you need to have a water chiller and it is one more piece of equipment to fail. My laser still has the orginal tube in it and it is still going strong after all this time. I have heard of Chinese tubes lasting as little as 20 hours. One problem with most of the lower cost lasers is that you never know if or for how long parts will be available. Without parts it becomes a boat anchor and those of us with Delta machines know what that can be like. The cloud part of this machine is a big red flag to me for the reason that others have expressed. They have to much control over your purchase.

3. There are additional things you need such as an exhaust system, a compressor for air assist and software so the laser is like a lathe in that it is only the begining in spending department.

4. It took me almost 2 years working full time to become what I felt was proficient in using my laser to it's full advantage as well many dollars of scrap learning the hard way.

If I wasn't using the laser almost full time as a business, there is no way I could could justify having one.

Just my 2 cents.

Agree with you a lot there, but I think this product is not aimed at full time business users, more at the entry hobbyist. Kinda of like the Silhouette line of vinyl cutters versus industrial sign shop vinyl cutters. For what I need a vinyl cutter for, the Silhouette is fine. Would it last in a full time, 8 hour a day production shop. Probably not. I think the same is true for the Glow Forge. Only time will tell once they start shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors