Gutter Debris Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Found a new-to-me concept for keeping trash out of my gutters. Having previously lived 25 yrs on the Gulf Coast, I have tried screens and louvers, only to find the live oak leaves and pine straw made it necessary to still go up and clean the mess off them every year. The years there also gave me a strong aversion to pines trees anywhere close to my house, but where I am now living, my neighbor has three 85 footers within 30 feet of the west side of my garage, so the prevailing winds manage to give me copious amounts of "free" pine straw year around. I found this stuff a Sam's club, and the cost was only about $0.60 per linear foot, so I put 64 feet of it in Saturday morning.

I do not know how well it will hold up to UV rays and squirrels looking for nest material, but for the price and the fact it is made right here in NC, decided to give it a try.

Anyone else have an experience with this?

Go

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I'll be interested to hear your assessment of these after a few months. I live among the hardwood trees and gutters are always a concern.

Thank you.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I installed plastic covers with a specially designed narrow slot in them that were available from Lowes for about $2 / ft 10 years ago. I have mostly pine trees in my yard and these covers work well, although they are not 100% effective for pine needles, they are extremely effective for keeping leaves out. I've tried several products with much less success before I installed these, but I too will be interested in how well this product works for you.

Charley

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Unfortunately there are two types when it come to gutter guards. Those who have "Leaf Guard Gutters," and those who wish they did. Not cheap, but the very best system available.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
I have the sponge-like guard over a rear door of the house. It was installed by the prior owner as an experiment. My experience hasn't been too good. IT seems the leaf stems keep getting stuck in the holes in the sponge. (It's better than nothing, no doubt. Certainly awesome for acorns.)

Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Q re Leaf Gaurd?

Unfortunately there are two types when it come to gutter guards. Those who have "Leaf Guard Gutters," and those who wish they did. Not cheap, but the very best system available.

Bruce
I have those, and debris is not an issue, but silt is. Many of my gutters are silted up. The previous owner had them installed (more than 20 years ago?), and I can't get any traction with Centennial (isn't that the name) trying to get them cleared (tried twice). Any ideas or hints on service?

Henry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS