Grizzly owners speak up

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhett

New User
rhett
Anyone have the G0454 20" planer from Grizzly. Can't seem to find any reviews of this tool. I am wondering what the differences is between it and the G1033X, besides the indexable spiral cutter. I can order the G0454 and the same spiral cutter head and have it delivered for $200 less than the starting price of the G1033X. It is also about 60lbs heavier and has built in casters. What am I missing here? Any insight will be helpful.

Toddler

New User
Todd
The cutter head diameters are a touch different, and the web site doesn't seem to say which of the 20" cutter heads comes on the 1033X.

Don't know what anti-kickback fingers are, or how much a magnetic switch is worth. Just looking at them, the G0454 looks nicer.

Why not call Grizzly and ask :)

Todd

M

McRabbet

The G454 was introduced in 2006 at $1,175 with standard knives (now $1,250). The G1033 has been around since the late 1990's and has been beefed up into the new G1033X that was introduced in early 2006. The main difference is that the G0454 has a built-in mobile base and has a faster cutterhead. I'd opt for the newer G0454, but that's worth exactly my $.02 -- PS I don't own either but have 5 Grizzly tools.

Rob

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Rhett, I have the Yorkcraft version of the G0454, and can say it is a tru workhorse. I wish I hadn't followed this thread, because I now know that the 20" Byrd head is on sale at Grizzly, saving almost $150 over regular price. It wasn't when I ordered replacement cutters for my jointer's Byrd head on Monday. With the sale, the 454 is nearly a $300 savings over the 1033X

I have run a lot of hard maple through mine, and it hasn't choked yet!

clowman

Clay Lowman
I don't know if this will help you or not, but I believe they have a referral program. If you call them, they will give you the names of people in your area that may have one. You may be able to contact them and ask their opinions.

rhett

New User
rhett
Thanks for the input. I am ordering the G0454 today. I will see how I like it before I opt for the cutterhead. After looking at the manual I think it is quite a hassel to replace, but after using the one at work (24" helictical cutter) I am definately fiening for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS