Grizzly Jointer G0490 & G0593

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc4digital

New User
Update your profile with your name
For Christmas my better half is letting me buy a Jointer.
From my research everyone seem to say go with an 8" Jointer. :eusa_danc

I find that Grizzly seems to make a good 8" Jointer. I can't believe I will own 3 products from one manufacture. Amazing in todays world.

Anyway I am looking at the G0490 8" with Parallelogram bed Vs. G0593 8" Jointer with Spiral Cutterhead. The price dffierence is about $245.00 :oops:

From my research thus far, it seems the Spiral Cutterhead could justify the cost difference.
But I also found the Parallelogram Bed Vs the Dovetail bed is easier to align should that become an issue. Dovetail you have to shim while Parallelogram Bed you can adjust.

So, Do you have suggestions? Do you own one of these? Which would you buy and why?:icon_thum

Thanks for all the great feedback. My objective is to only buy the tool once in my life and be happy. This forum has help me a lot in my buying objectives. And that is due to you. So thanks.:wav:

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
My pick would be the GO490 with the Byrd head but then again, I have a Shop Fox 8" with the standard blade set and it works fine. There were five of us who went in on a group buy and got one for $695 + tax. It is exactly the same as the G0490 only with a different color scheme. Unless you are hung up on a Griz, I would check into the Shop Fox and maybe you can get a Byrd Shelix head for comparable money. You might give Paul a call at the Woodworking Shop on Capitol Blvd. in Raleigh and see what his price is. Hope this helps.

Mike

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
My pick would be the GO490 with the Byrd head but then again, I have a Shop Fox 8" with the standard blade set and it works fine. There were five of us who went in on a group buy and got one for $695 + tax. It is exactly the same as the G0490 only with a different color scheme. Unless you are hung up on a Griz, I would check into the Shop Fox and maybe you can get a Byrd Shelix head for comparable money. You might give Paul a call at the Woodworking Shop on Capitol Blvd. in Raleigh and see what his price is. Hope this helps.

Mike
Mike, putting aside the byrd head, why are choosing the 490 over the 593, if you don't mind me asking. I am also looking at a 8" jointer.

Monty

New User
Monty
I have the Shop Fox version that Mike is referring to (equivalent to the G0490 - see this thread). IMHO you can't ask for much more machine for the price. The parallelogram beds are really nice - this means that as the infeed table height changes, the gap between the bed and the cutting edge of the blade always remains constant. One thing to be aware of with the Grizzly "spiral heads" -The griz is not a true spiral like the Byrd head is. Take a look at these pics to see what I mean:

Grizzly's spiral head:

g0593_det1.jpg

Byrd spiral head:

byrdheadin.jpg

With the Griz, each blade is staggered but still cuts at 90° to the direction of travel. With the Byrd, the blades are all skewed.

So, bottom line, I think the best bet would be to get the G0490 (or the SF equivalent) and add a Byrd head to it if you want to.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Steve,

For me, the parallelogram bed on the 490 style was a selling point vs the dovetail ways on the 593. Also the 490 style is 3 hp vs 2 hp on the 593. Does 1 hp make that much difference? I don't feel it will for the hobbyist but if you are going to make a lifetime buy, I would go for the biggest I could get. I really like the lever adjustment for raising and lowering the bed height vs the hand wheel type. That is my personal preference and I am sure the hand wheel would work fine. The difference in bed length between the two is negligible, with the nod going to the 490 by 1 3/16". I guess what it comes down to for most is personal preference. I am sure either one will do a fine job. Lots of folks have purchased both models. Another thing to keep in mind is neither the 490 or the 593 have built in casters so both will need a mobile base. The Shop Fox model has built in casters.

Mike

cc4digital

New User
mshel The 490 is mobile. But everything else you said is almost verbatim from Grizzly Tech support. It amazing how close your statements are to the call I made today. Kinda scary actually. Anyway, you summed it up very nice :eusa_clap

Personal perference could be a bigger issue. Not exactly sure yet.

Chuck

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
looking at the grizzly site, it seems that 490 could be bought with the "regular" blades and grizzly offers the Byrd Shelix head specifically for the 490 a $395.

which makes it $750 + 395 = $1154 plus shipping

Shop Fox 699

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Steve, I think the 490 has a 3hp motor, and the 593 a 2hp? I like power, when it comes down to an 8" jointer, I'm going for as much power as possible. I had been trying to talk LOML into letting me spend some of my raise on a 16" at the auction site that Ashley_Phil works for, best she would let me spend would only insult the guy, so I withheld my offer.

mike_wood

User
I am interested in a new jointer too & have been following the Shop Fox & Grizzly comparison. But I am a bit confused at the Shop Fox ($699) price vrs the Grizzly $1000+ price. The SF does not come with spiral cutter so the real difference is ~$50. I found the SF for $700. The Grizzly catalog says they will ship for $85 anywhere in the US. The SF will cost ~$180 to ship. So the Grizzly comes out looking pretty good.

Of course this assumes they are equivalent jointers. I have no way to compare. The Grizzly has done well in woodworking mag comparisons.

I don't care which one I buy. I am still gathering information.

Maybe I am missing something - I am sure someone will set me straight.

Monty

New User
Monty
Talk to your local shop fox dealer. I bet you could probably get that SF for a better price, and not have to worry about shipping charges. The SF and the Griz are the same machine, so I'm sure the same Byrd head could be added to either.

vbgregg

New User
Gregg
There were five of us who went in on a group buy and got one for $695 + tax.
Mike

Hi Mike,

One minor correction. We got the Shop Fox for $650 + tax, which is $45 less than you said. It ended up being about $695 after taxes, not before taxes.

Also, someone mentioned $180 shipping, but in our case there was no shipping charge since we picked them up at the local store. Someone also quoted a Grizzly shipping price of $85, but I think it's $135. I figure we got the equivalent of the 490 for about $200 less. The difference is even more now, since I think Grizzly's prices have gone up. Also, the Shop Fox warranty is 2 years versus 1 year for the Griz.

Gregg

mike_wood

User
One minor correction to your minor correction. Look at the Grizzly catalog, not online, and it says they will ship for $85 anywhere in the US. Additionally, you are comparing a special deal a group worked out to an individual purchase. I think it is great y'all worked that out but it is not available to me. I have to work with the prices I am quoted.

vbgregg

New User
Gregg
One minor correction to your minor correction. Look at the Grizzly catalog, not online, and it says they will ship for $85 anywhere in the US. Additionally, you are comparing a special deal a group worked out to an individual purchase. I think it is great y'all worked that out but it is not available to me. I have to work with the prices I am quoted.

Hi Mike (Wood),

I think you misunderstood my message, at least part of it. In the first part of my message, I was simply correcting the price that Mike Shelley quoted. In the second part of my message, I was pointing out (as others did) that you do not need to pay $180 shipping for the Shop Fox. It appears that you live in Wake County, so if you order from Klingspors' in Raleigh (a Shop Fox dealer), you won't have to pay any shipping. You would, however, have to pay tax and figure out a way to get the jointer to your shop. The tax is way less than $180, so that seemed like a good deal. I was worried about getting the jointer home and into my basement, but that worked out much easier than I had expected.

As for the $85 versus $135 shipping for the Grizzly, if they will honor the $85 that you saw in the catalog, that would definitely help. But when I was looking, and in every ad I've noticed since, the shipping price had gone up to $135. I had also heard a lot of horror stories about Grizzly shipping, so I was hoping that having a jointer shipped to a store and then picking it up might work out better. My crate (and jointer) came through with no visible damage, so at least in this one case it worked out fine.

From your message, it sounds like I offended you. I certainly did not mean to offend you. I was mainly trying to point out that the Shop Fox 1741 might be a cheaper option than the identical Grizzly 0490. I realize that you probably won't get the same low price that our group got, but I think the regular Klingspors' price for the Shop Fox is $750 + tax, which still works out cheaper than the Grizzly price, which I think is at least $750 + shipping. The price difference without a group buy might not be very large, but if buying from a local dealer and having a longer warranty are important to you, it still might be worth considering. Also, as of a week or two ago, Klingspors' had a Shop Fox 1741 on display, so if it is important to see one in person, you might want to visit their store (even if you end up getting the Grizzly). Finally, Klingspors' (like other dealers) have sales once in a while where they discount things by 10%, so you might be able to get the Shop Fox for $675 if you wait until a sale. Also, I have been able to negotiate on price with Paul at Klingspors'. Some dealers sell the Shop Fox for about $699, so Paul might match that (I don't know). Good luck,

Gregg

bonewood

New User
Alan
I have owned both. Currently, I have the 490 with a Byrd head sitting on the bench awaiting completion of current project.
The mobility and the bed adjustment on the 490 are much of the reason I switched.
I set the beds once and have not touched them since; I recall fiddling with the other at least 3 times.
490 has a higher fence--me like.
More powerful--me like.
I've run almost 2000 bdft through that beast recently, but cant' seem to ruin it.

Is a good machine and good value.

JanesJeff

New User
Jeff Stikeleather
I was excited to read that you have owned both machines ... currently the 0490. I want to order by the end of the year and always have decision making problems and try to research a lot. I have a few questions if you don't mind ... please.
It appears that parrallelogram is the way to go period over dovetail?
The HP is not that big a deal but I like the idea of more?
The 0593/0586 have two belts instead of one. Is that important?
The 0593/0586 has a wheel and worm gear adjustment on the FENCE. Is that a big deal?
I read there is a question about the built in mobile base being inadequate and perhaps a little unstable. I will definately need a mobile base.
In general is the quality equivalent between the two?

Thanks very much in advance for any massaging of my decision making.

Jeff

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I just got the G0490 and am very happy with it. The setup was reasonably straight forward. It took me about 2-3 hours to get it clenaed up (grease etc) and then assembled. The mobile base wheel system is more than adequate. The blades were set right on out of the box and the tables are dead on. I did have some very slight snipe with my first few passes but the more I practised my pressure on the wood the snipe has almost disappered. The belt and HP are more than adequate for the oak and ipe I've run through it. Overall I am very happy with the Griz G0490.

One note on the delivery, it took four guys the get the table assembly down a flight of exterior stairs to my shop. Both the base and table assembly were packaged very well. The base with motor was in a reinforced cardboard carton with styrofaom interior and nylon banding exterior. The table assembly was crated in 3/4" ply and bolted to the bottom skid. The plywood is unidentifable for speices but I'm using it for some shop storage shelves.

Good luck with your purchase

brenthenze

New User
Brent Henze
I just got my G0593 a couple days ago--I'd been torn between the two, particularly since they're almost exactly the same price (if you add the cost of a mobile base to the 593, which the 490 doesn't need). I hate to spend the same money on a tool with a smaller motor, even if 2hp is more than sufficient (as I'm assured it is)!

The thing that eventually convinced me to go with the 593 (2hp) is the electrical requirements. The 2hp motor can be wired for either 110v or 220v, whereas the 490 (3hp) can only be run 220v. My current shop--which will be retired in a year or two--only has 110v service, and it's far enough from my house that I'd need to put several hundred dollars into an electrical upgrade. (The saga of this decision can be found elsewhere on this list!) I simply couldn't afford to buy the tool and rewire the shop, particularly if the rewire would be just a temporary fix.

HOWEVER: right now I'm waiting for the Grizzly tech support to reply to my questions about how to rewire the jointer for 110v service. The catalog says that the jointer can be run on 220v or 110v circuit--fine, it's easy enough to switch over the motor (I did this for my Grizzly bandsaw too). But the product manual says NOTHING about wiring the tool for 110v operation! It doesn't even say that that's possible. Evidently, I need to purchase a new 110v "magnetic switch" (called a "magnetic starter" on the item itself) to replace the 220v magnetic starter that comes preinstalled on the jointer. That's annoying enough, since if I'd known I'd need to do so, I'd have ordered it when I ordered the tool (and I'd be cutting wood right now rather than grinding my teeth). It's all the more frustrating that when I called tech support, the guy told me that he wasn't sure which switch I should buy--he first thought I should buy a $50 part, but then he said he thought I'd be better off with one that costs $100. (He wasn't very specific about the difference.) So, even though technically I'll be able to use this jointer in my current shop, it's going to end up costing me something like $100 more to get it up and running (this is assuming that I'm ever able to figure out what additional part I need to buy. Still waiting for that call back from tech support....)

The tool's beautiful, though!

Brent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS