Grizzly G1019 Band Saw

khestee

New User
khestee
I've been looking to upgrade from my Delta 12" band saw to a 14". Haven't found one but I did find a Grizzly 14". It is a discontinued model, made in 1995 with a 3/4 hp motor. He is asking way too much, in my opinion, $500. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Khestee - hate to get philosophical on you, but I will anyways....

The neat thing about free markets is that if you think the seller is asking way too much, you can either hold your nose and buy it, offer a lower price, or shop elsewhere. Really what we think matters little.

Now if you are asking would I buy this BS at that price, I would answer that I doubt it. But I am in a very different place because I already have a very similar BS, so I neither want nor need (nor have room for) another one, unless it is significantly better than my existing one (mine is similar).

So then the real question becomes - if I wanted to upgrade my BS is this what I would choose, and would I pay that price? Finally maybe getting to answer your real question - possibly I might, but there are other choices out there and I doubt that I would pay that price for that machine (confirming your statement in your question). Unsure the price is way too much; I do not have a specific price in mind that I would pay though, and there are regional differences in used machinery prices, due to supply and demand I presume (and I don't know where in NC you are, if you are in NC).

Hope that helps

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yeah kinda high, when I was looking I discovered the void between cheap and quality. The Issue with used equipment, sometimes you have to spend so much to get it "right" it is kinda a wash to just getting a new decent unit.
That seems to be more the case with drill presses and bandsaws over all the other equipment. My guess is mostly because mechanics & home DIY'ers all use these.
One thing I would suggest is see if you can find a 3/4-1 hp 3phase 208 or 230 volt unit. 3-phase is way less popular and with a 100-130 dollar variable drive you can run it on 120 volt with variable speed control. Now ........ that becomes really useful because you can then run it a 1/3-1/2 speed and cut metal. Those VFD units are really easy to hook up and they will provide rpm readout. BTW, you really cannot make single phase motor run on a VFD.

I have a Porter Cable Drill Press, but the quality is too low to want to convert to a VFD

If you do find something like that, hit me and I can help you understand how to do it or an aim to some simple Youtube videos showing how this is done.

One final thought ..... Patience is the buyers friend, never be in a hurry, there is ALWAYS another deal. So, do not fixate on something, this causes you to lose your objective thinking and then, you may spend more than you should.

khestee

New User
khestee
Yeah kinda high, when I was looking I discovered the void between cheap and quality. The Issue with used equipment, sometimes you have to spend so much to get it "right" it is kinda a wash to just getting a new decent unit.
That seems to be more the case with drill presses and bandsaws over all the other equipment. My guess is mostly because mechanics & home DIY'ers all use these.
One thing I would suggest is see if you can find a 3/4-1 hp 3phase 208 or 230 volt unit. 3-phase is way less popular and with a 100-130 dollar variable drive you can run it on 120 volt with variable speed control. Now ........ that becomes really useful because you can then run it a 1/3-1/2 speed and cut metal. Those VFD units are really easy to hook up and they will provide rpm readout. BTW, you really cannot make single phase motor run on a VFD.

I have a Porter Cable Drill Press, but the quality is too low to want to convert to a VFD

If you do find something like that, hit me and I can help you understand how to do it or an aim to some simple Youtube videos showing how this is done.

One final thought ..... Patience is the buyers friend, never be in a hurry, there is ALWAYS another deal. So, do not fixate on something, this causes you to lose your objective thinking and then, you may spend more than you should.
Thanks for the reply and the offer. I think that could be a viable option.

khestee

New User
khestee
Khestee - hate to get philosophical on you, but I will anyways....

The neat thing about free markets is that if you think the seller is asking way too much, you can either hold your nose and buy it, offer a lower price, or shop elsewhere. Really what we think matters little.

Now if you are asking would I buy this BS at that price, I would answer that I doubt it. But I am in a very different place because I already have a very similar BS, so I neither want nor need (nor have room for) another one, unless it is significantly better than my existing one (mine is similar).

So then the real question becomes - if I wanted to upgrade my BS is this what I would choose, and would I pay that price? Finally maybe getting to answer you real question - possibly I might, but there are other choices out there and I doubt that I would pay that price for that machine (confirming your statement in your question). Unsure the price is way too much; I do not have a specific price in mind that I would pay though, and there are regional differences in used machinery prices, due to supply and demand I presume (and I don't know where in NC you are, if you are in NC).

Hope that helps
Thanks Henry. It's at the upper limit of my ideal price even if it was a Delta, and maybe for NC(I live in Moore county, between Pinehurst and Carthage). My problem may be that I have room for more tools! My 12" works great but once in a while I need just a little more clearance, but I manage. So I may just continue to wait, he has not had any offers so far, maybe his price will drop or a Delta will pop up somewhere close by. Thanks again.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Khestee, a good rule of thumb for used tools is to figure about half the cost of a new one if the condition is very good. For wear, or missing parts or damage, lower the price. You can always figure what you can afford and offer that to see if the seller is willing to bargain.

Roy G

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
14" Delta band saw and Delta dust collector

It's located in Bunn.

1573925221478.png

Not mine.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks Henry. It's at the upper limit of my ideal price even if it was a Delta, and maybe for NC(I live in Moore county, between Pinehurst and Carthage). My problem may be that I have room for more tools! My 12" works great but once in a while I need just a little more clearance, but I manage. So I may just continue to wait, he has not had any offers so far, maybe his price will drop or a Delta will pop up somewhere close by. Thanks again.

Since you have room consider waiting for a larger bandsaw whether new or used. From 12" to 14" is not a big jump and a 1-2hp motor is a much better than a 3/4hp especially if you have the 120/240v option. I have a 14" bandsaw and added a 6" riser. Later I removed the riser since the increased height created accuracy problems. A 17" bandsaw would be my choice if you can find a deal. Otherwise you could buy a new Grizzly 14" $625 plus tax and shipping.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Yes the price is high—maybe that local market will support that price, but it just shows folks haven’t bothered to look up the cost of new.

I looked for a while before I found my ‘81 Rockwell 14” BS for $160 less than 2 yrs ago. I consider this saw quite the upgrade from my 12” craftsman BS from the 70’s. I’ll agree with others about having a larger resaw capacity, but it wasn’t a deal breaker for me given price jump from a 14” to skk OK merging larger ($200-300 minimum in my market).

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
There's a 14" PM for sale on OWWM website for $500 OBO. Not mine, etc... It's in another state, long distance, but PM machines are in a different category IMHO.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS