Griz GO490 8" Jointer w/new Byrd Head

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Well here are the results of the conversion of the GO490 blade to Byrd Shelix cutter head. As previously reported, the conversion was pretty straight forward. With the help of a neighbor, we pulled the bearings and repressed onto the new Byrd and installed the head. Did a few trial cuts after an initial adjustment and everything seemed good.

I started to run some QSWO through the jointer and started to experience some minor snipe. Initially I thought is was the usual "operator error" but came to realize that the outfeed table was out of alignment. Further attempts to set the outfeed table to the cutter head top showed that the Byrd rides slightly higher than the blade head. This was compounded by the fence bottom preventing the outfeed table to be adjusted higher. Solution was to remove the fence and file the bottom of the fence by the outfeed table to allow the table to adjusted to the top of the Byrd cutter head.

Result was perfect...no snipe.

Dan C.

Last edited:

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Re: Grix GO490 8" Jointer w/new Byrd Head

You make it sound like that was a simple procedure! I wouldn't have had a clue. I bet it makes smooth wood.

M

McRabbet

Well done, Dan! Just curious, but does it run quieter with the spiral cutterhead? I'm sure the cuts are smoother, too.

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Great job Dan - glad that it is working better for you -

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member

It was fairly simple to do the conversion...but you need the right tools. Bearing puller and bearing press. Having access to these via my neighbor really made the task doable. The alternative was to take to a bearing shop and have them do it.

The jointer does run considerably quieter and the cuts are super smooth. Just sorry I didn't go for the Shelix at the go-down.

Dan C.

sapwood

New User
Roger

You make it sound like that was a simple procedure! I wouldn't have had a clue. I bet it makes smooth wood.

Couldn't agree more. That is quite an accomplishment and your are going to be rewarded with lots of flat lumber :icon_thum

Roger

T

toolferone

How much did you take off the fence. I wonder if Grizzly knows that is an issue. Glad you got it figured out.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Tom...Didn't measure the exact amount, maybe a 32nd of an inch. It was probably some burrs that were on the downside. It works great now.

Dan C.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Dan,

I converted my Shop Fox 8" jointer a couple of months ago and I didn't have the problem with the fence. Since both are Griz products, I am surprised. May just have been a rough casting that wasn't cleaned up. I love mine and I am sure you will too. I was really surprised at just how smooth it cuts and I had to really wax the outfeed table because there was a suction of sorts that made it hard to push the wood. Now that is what I call flat and smooooooooth. :gar-La;:gar-La;

Enjoy

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS