Greetings from the strange land of Asheville

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcwick08

New User
arcwick08
Hey team! I've relied on NCWW for a while for info, finally got around to creating an account. I live just outside of Asheville over here in Western NC. I'm an avid turner and small-useless-furniture maker.

Not sure if there are rules against outside links, but I've got a small cross section of my turning work over at http://www.questionablewoodworking.com/
Opinions and critiques welcome!

Cheers!

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Xett,

Welcome to NCWW from a former Ashevillian. I used to live just north of Asheville.

We have a number of members from WNC. Periodically, there is a luncheon in the area and there have been a few workshops. There are a couple of very good turners in your area who are also members, Chessspy (Alan Dewey) and Flootsie (Milissa Dewey). Also, WNC is home to one of the largest turning clubs that meets at the Folk Arts Center.

Since you have been a lurker, you probably already know that we like pictures.

As HMerkle (Hank) likes to say, you get out of NCWW what you put into it. I believe this is true.

Watch for opportunities to learn more about this wonderful craft, volunteer when you can, ask questions, and jump into conversations when you can.

Steve

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Xett,
Welcome! Very nice looking turnings on your site! You need to have a look at some of Charlie's segmented turnings if you haven't already done so.

Michael

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome to the dust pile Xett. Looked at your link...wow. Very nice work

Last edited:

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Like your work. One of your pieces with the African Blackwood you say it is one of the hardest woods in the world. Have you tried any Desert Ironwood?

Roy G

arcwick08

New User
arcwick08
Have not tried Ironwood... speaking of the janka (sic?) scale, I believe the hardest I've worked with is Lignum Vitae - made a tool handle a while back - yow!

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member

ehpoole

Ethan
Xett,

Welcome to NCWW as we are midst pleased to count you as one of our members. You will find that we are a pretty friendly bunch and we look forward to your questions and contributions.

As for outside links, we have no particular issues with outside links provided they are not used primarily for personal gain (i.e. a veiled personal advertisement for financial gain). However, links to personal photos, instructional videos (such as YouTube) or third-party content that is directly related to woodworking, and thus of interest to our membership, is nearly always fine.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Zett!
As Steve Mentioned we try to have a lunch once in a while in the Hendersonville area.

If you are available keep watching and come listen to some tall tales!:eek:

Also as Steve mentioned I do believe you get out of NCWW what you put in and I think you already have a couple suggestions on your power questions... we will probably meet at the Klingspore store opening (if not before) and who knows what else common ground you an another NCWW'er share until you start talking. (and the only think we like more than pictures about woodworking is talking about wood working! :swoon:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Welcome! Former Buncombe resident here. Been 19 years and still miss it.
Keep the blood on the inside and the dust on the outside (watch that Cocobolo:eek:).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS