Got to meet member insteadof

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Jim (member insteadof) contacted me via the site about some trees that were blown over during a tornado near his property up in Berea - We made a trek around what seemed to be the 100 acre woods up here in Granville county. Darn nice guy and about 12 nice mature oaks Red and White oaks blown over root balls and all - many of them are just right for quarter sawing a few will make some wider flat sawn boards.

You guys have another accomplished wood worker on your hands, he gave me the grand tour of his built by himself log house and furnishing inside, a shop tour, a couple of WIP projects and an introduction to his wife. Someone was really looking out for Jim when the tornado came by - not one of the mature trees around his house or shop fell - just out in the woods.

Bernard I don't think Jim is more than 10 miles from you.

Thanks for having me out Jim - Sorry I sweated all over ever thing...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well it's too bad that no pics were taken so we could believe it actually happened...Jeff, you know better:eusa_naug.
Are you going to be able to mill up some of those trees? I would love to see what comes out of them.
I have never met a less than high quality, really nice and generous person from this site...I think that we've found where they're all hiding.

Dave:)

J

jeff...

Well it's too bad that no pics were taken so we could believe it actually happened...Jeff, you know better:eusa_naug.
Are you going to be able to mill up some of those trees? I would love to see what comes out of them.
I have never met a less than high quality, really nice and generous person from this site...I think that we've found where they're all hiding.

You believe what you want to believe Dave :gar-La;

We estimated how many BF are out there in blown over oaks. Jim had a little map so we wouldn't get lost and it included all the oaks that wind fell. We looked at each on of them on the map and measured how many good logs and BF per log for each tree. He's going to send me a total after he adds it all up - I'm guessing there is somewhere around a 1/2 TLL load of lumber in those trees. Some will make grade #1 (clear all four faces) logs 24 ~ 32' up from the butt - but I will have to cut them back to 8' in order to manhoover them out of the standing trees. Nice mature oaks man, just laid down, root ball and all by the wind. I only seen one that split and that was 24' up from the butt...

As far as making boards, I have not decided yet - would need to cut the logs off the root balls, run the logs out of the woods with the bobcat, load em on a trailer and take them to my mill up in Bullock, quarter them, take the lumber to Scott to be kiln dried, pick it up form Scott after about a month and have at least 2 maybe 3 lumber runs in the harbor freight parking lot in Raleigh. Am I getting to old for this???

Thanks

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
As far as making boards, I have not decided yet - would need to cut the logs off the root balls, run the logs out of the woods with the bobcat, load em on a trailer and take them to my mill up in Bullock, quarter them, take the lumber to Scott to be kiln dried, pick it up form Scott after about a month and have at least 2 maybe 3 lumber runs in the harbor freight parking lot in Raleigh. Am I getting to old for this???

Thanks

Now Jeff, how could you pass up that opportunity?

I have to agree with Dave, I have NEVER meet anyone from this site that wasn't a GREAT person!

If this is where all the great people are hiding, I'm GLAD to be a member!

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Now Jeff, how could you pass up that opportunity?

I have to agree with Dave, I have NEVER meet anyone from this site that wasn't a GREAT person!

If this is where all the great people are hiding, I'm GLAD to be a member!

I agree!:wink_smil

J

jeff...

Dang despite spraying myself down with deep woods cutters before taking a trek in the woods - I pulled 4 ticks of me. I think I need something better - what's good?

JohnW

New User
John
TICKS...
Consumer Reports and several medical studies say DEET in concentrations of 30% or more is the best repellent. DEET of this strength should not be used on children.

I don't wear repellents...Wear long sleeve shirt & long pants... and tuck em in your boots....this is the best advice I can give except...

Don't wear a bikini while cutting down trees.

Glennbear

Glenn
Dang despite spraying myself down with deep woods cutters before taking a trek in the woods - I pulled 4 ticks of me. I think I need something better - what's good?

TICKS...
Consumer Reports and several medical studies say DEET in concentrations of 30% or more is the best repellent. DEET of this strength should not be used on children.

I don't wear repellents...Wear long sleeve shirt & long pants... and tuck em in your boots....this is the best advice I can give except...

Don't wear a bikini while cutting down trees.

Chiggers are horrendous this year also. higher strength DEET sprays are in hunting /camping department of WallyWorld while garden dept has lower concentrations.:wsmile:

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Don't know how it works on ticks :dontknow:.But when I go out looking for my hiking sticks I use dryer sheets. Yep just plain ole dryer sheets. Keeps the skeeters off. I just wipe down my arms face and neck.I put a few in a zip lock baggy that way when the sweat washs it off I just wipe back down.

J

jeff...

Just got an email from Jim (see below). Like I said we walked the woods and measured the fallen oaks - graded the logs and estimated BF. (it's a mix of both Red and White oak) I'll QS what's big enough to QS and flat saw what's not. I guessed while we were out there that the trees we looked at were somewhere around 70 ~ 80 years old. Jim told me the property was logged in the early 40's and he bought it in the 70's - I was pretty close in my guess :) I think 3 of the trees are on a steep slope that leads down to the Tar river we may need to get creative wih the bobcat and his tractor in order to skid those ones out. But the rest are on flat land so I could run those out with the bobcat.

There's quite a bit of lumber here and if Jim doesn't mind me setting up shop out at his place for a little while, I could take a couple of weekends and make some flat square ones out of big round ones. Would any of you be interested in buying any if Scott will kiln dry it? I think with the big 40" diam WO log I have out at the log yard plus what Jim has we can fill Scott's 4000 BF kiln. I would really like to keep it in the NCWoodWorker community if I could. And besides the fact that RO is my favorite wood to work with, I really don't have a need for this much lumber. I just got my outside storage area and shop some what cleaned out - ya know...

Jeff, As best I could figure with my lack of knowledge on board ft. and takeing notes, I came up with about 2000 board ft. of grade # 1 and 1800 board ft. of grade # 2. I have no notes on wheather these board ft. are flat sawed or quarter sawed? Sorry! You are the expert. We can do it again if necessary. Enjoyed our walk . Jim (insteadof)

Thanks

J

jeff...

Ok Dave's in - despite how fast he's been kicking out projects lately - I doubt he'll want to buy 4000 BF - anyone else?

J

jeff...

I figured I would let this run a week and get back to Jim on my decision - Seems there is some interest but not enough yet.

(waves hand and says) QSWO, QSRO I Must Have.

Now that you must have it - let me know how much you must have :gar-Bi

We'll check back on Friday and see where we stand.

Thanks

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
Hey Jeff,

Can I recommend starting a new thread for your potential oak sale to help stir up the interest?

I didn't know that you were looking to do another run, as the thread's title is still "Got to meet member insteadof".

Quickly scanning the thread I didn't see how much y'all will be offering the oak for. Do you have an idea yet?

Also, will this be off the log, or graded out?

Thanks, and good luck with the run!
-Kevin

J

jeff...

Ok yep your right - I need an executive summary don't I?

The right thing to do is spin up a new thread and get straight to the point.

Thanks...

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Jim (member insteadof) contacted me via the site about some trees that were blown over during a tornado near his property up in Berea - We made a trek around what seemed to be the 100 acre woods up here in Granville county. Darn nice guy and about 12 nice mature oaks Red and White oaks blown over root balls and all - many of them are just right for quarter sawing a few will make some wider flat sawn boards.

You guys have another accomplished wood worker on your hands, he gave me the grand tour of his built by himself log house and furnishing inside, a shop tour, a couple of WIP projects and an introduction to his wife. Someone was really looking out for Jim when the tornado came by - not one of the mature trees around his house or shop fell - just out in the woods.

Bernard I don't think Jim is more than 10 miles from you.

Thanks for having me out Jim - Sorry I sweated all over ever thing...
Bernard wouldn't happen to be a German fellow by the name of Bernhard Lampert would it. We've worked together in the pharmaceutical industry for many years. Just curious.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Bernard wouldn't happen to be a German fellow by the name of Bernhard Lampert would it. We've worked together in the pharmaceutical industry for many years. Just curious.

Bingo, I didn't realize he was German, I just thought he talked funny :wwink::gar-La;:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS