Got the wood...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
So now what? LOL
My benchtop will be made form SYP. I couldn't get to the Habitat stores to find a good oak door. :-( Oh well. Anyway, I have four 8ft long boards I plan to rip into 4 pieces each. Getting 16 8ft pieces by the time I shred them. I will have to use my router to joint them, not a problem, but how am I going to get the faces flat? Should I haul out and buy a portable 3" planer? I would have other uses for it so that would be no problem. I don't have a bench plane that will be able to do the job right now. I do have a smoothing plane that wil halp, but I think there will be some bowing or warping. I plan to laminate the boards together, but I am no Amy Devers when it comes to this. This will be my biggest solo project yet!
:) ::faint::

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I'm in east Charlotte near the University. I have a planer, jointer, and such ... if you need to use them, you are more than welcome. I will be around the house this weekend. Just PM me.

PS - I also have two solid core doors if you want either you can have them. They need to be cleaned up a bit and sanded, but would be good tops.

nelsone

New User
Ed
As for flatening the top, you can use your router. Make a couple rails and attach them to the sides of the bench. A couple runners that will stretch across the rails with a rabbit that you can set a router sled in. Take it slow, but it should work out well.

Good luck and please post WIP pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS