Got Project!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Hello guys & gals,
Not sure if this is the right spot to post this. If not I apologize! Had a guy from work ask me to build him a pulpit and large cross for a new church. I've got a few questions though?

1-What to charge?
2-Sense all I've got is a tsaw and ras whats the best route to go?
3-If I can't handle it would one of you be interested?

If so he would probably want someone local ( Gastonia,Charlotte area )
All input will be greatly appreciated.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
#1 - A little more info needed, but 2X materials plus labor would be a good place to start. Of course a "get into Heaven free" pass for making something at cost for a church is also another angle :icon_thum .
#2 - A rectilinear design with dados. Simple Shaker style. Or charge enough to get some more tools :-D
#3 - I am sure that you would find someone interested in making it, but your friend asked you and I feel that you could do it...you've got over a 1000 folks to brain-pick.

Dave:)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
#1 - A little more info needed, but 2X materials plus labor would be a good place to start. Of course a "get into Heaven free" pass for making something at cost for a church is also another angle :icon_thum .
#2 - A rectilinear design with dados. Simple Shaker style. Or charge enough to get some more tools :-D
#3 - I am sure that you would find someone interested in making it, but your friend asked you and I feel that you could do it...you've got over a 1000 folks to brain-pick.

Dave:)
#1, I just don't think it works that way, but it never hurts to cover all your bases.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Here is a pulpit I did a while back..Made it so it could be wheeled out of the way when not in use since the congregation area is used for multiple functions.

Attachments

• podium3.jpg
    podium3.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 117
  • podium8.jpg
    podium8.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 126

sapwood

New User
Roger
There you go Robert! Kyle's pulpit looks great :icon_thum
Just be sure it matches the denomination :lol:

Roger

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Thanks everyone for your input. I've not made up my mind yet on taking the project or not. The guy that ask about it had a death in the family. I'll give him some time. Kyle that is a beautiful piece.If I do make it I hope it's half as nice as yours.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Your right Mike. I guess you can say I'm talking myself into it.But with a $100 tablesaw it makes me kinda nervous.But I gota start somewhere.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
But with a $100 tablesaw it makes me kinda nervous.But I gota start somewhere.

You paid that much for your TS? I paid $50 for my old C-Man and it's let me build our crib! Everyones gotta start somewhere, just make sure you tune up the old TS as best you can before you start! Best of luck!

DavidF

New User
David
Try 3 x material, $40/hr, guesstimate the hours and then loose money - That's the way it works isn't it? Seriously, that's the formula I use.

You should be able to do what you want with those tools, just don't stretch yourself on the design, but make sure what you CAN build is as good a job as you can and you'll be happy with the result. Stretch yourself AND the tools and you'll regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS