Good tool/deal or not ? Bostich brad nailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
Just saw this on the Tooliday site and was wondering if anyone has this model and can vouch as to whether this is a good tool or not and is it really a good deal.

http://recon.tooliday.com/

The sale ends in less than 2 hrs.

Thanks,
Brent

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I don't have that particular nailer, but Bostich generally has an excellent reputation for their nailers. It says "Factory Reconditioned" so I would consider it just as good as new. And $35 is an excellent price for a Bostich. The 18 ga. is probably my most used nailer in the shop, and I have 5 different nailers, from 23 ga. up to a framing nailer.

HTH

Bill

bluchz

bluchz
User
I have recently purchased one of these. I am happy with it. For $35 i cant see how you could go wrong. I have used mine to build cabinets and the only thing i would change is the swivel air inlet, it leaks a little, but i am too lazy to do that so it must not be a big problem.

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
Thanks for the replies. I found that I can get this price most anytime, so have decided to educate myself a bit more on nailers and decide what I really want/need. A lot of times I jump on something without the education part and find I wish I had waited. I currently don't have any air nailers of any size or type but know that I'd like to have a pin nailer, brad nailer, finish nailer and stapler or some of the combo nailers.

If anyone has any advice about nailers/staplers I'd love to hear it. I have a birthday coming up, so I need to make a list...hehe.

Brent

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: Combo deal? Bostich brad nailer

If you already have the compressor, then ignore this advice. If you are looking for as many nailers as you were suggesting, then the combo kits are a very good deal. I bought from Bostich and rec'd a 16 ga, 18 ga and crown stapler with a pancake compressor for $200.

I'm not an every day user, mostly trim work, but i have been very happy with all of these.

Henry

ehpoole

Ethan
If you are in the process of acquiring your first pneumatic nailers, then the Bostitch kit (available from Lowes and elsewhere) is a nice starter set. A couple years back I purchased their kit which included a 6-gallon compressor, 16-ga Finishing nailer (2-1/2"), 18-ga Brad nailer (2") and 18-ga Narrow Crown (1/4" crown, 1-1/2") stapler for about $279.

Since then I've also added the Bostitch 23-ga Pinner and a 21-ga EZ-Fasten (Woodcraft) Pinner/brad nailer, both of which support up to 1-3/16" pins (30mm).

I really don't have any complaints with regard to any of the nailers (other than to say that Grex 23-ga pins generally fit the Bostitch 23-ga Pinner better than Bostitch's own pins, except for the 3/4" Bostitch pins, which fit better because the Grex 3/4" pins are 1mm too long -- go figure!). I have not had any problems with any of them and jams are very rare (but easy enough to clear on the very rare occassions they occur).

I took advantage of the Bostitch package mostly for the nailers, and as an opportunity to acquire a portable compressor. At some point in the next year or two I will upgrade to a 60-80 gallon 4-5HP air compressor for my shop, and will keep the 6-gallon Bostitch compressor for portability.

All 5 of my nailers are of the oiled-type and I find 2-4 drops of oil before each task keeps them all happy. I have not tried any of the oilless type nailers as of yet.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I've never been a slave to any brand and buy my tools as needed, based on reviews and price. That being said, I have a Bostich Framer and 18ga. finish nailer, a Porter Cable roofing nailer, a DeWalt 16ga. finish nailer and an Air Locker 23ga. pin nailer. All of them have been used alot, and all have performed well. I will say that the Bostich are by far the heaviest duty of the bunch and have taken great beatings over the years, the others are shop only tools.

Good Luck,

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
Oh goody, new replies. I googled for air nailer combo kits to see what deals I could get and the Bostitch 3 gun/compressor combo was one of them. I do have a larger compressor (portable on wheels), but could always either use the smaller portable compressor or sell it.

Other kits I found were by Surebonder $181, Senco $230, Grip-Rite $199...all these are just the 3 guns. Compressor/gun kits by Porter Cable and Bostitch, $200 for reconditioned on both. I can get the Bostitch new for $302.

Unless one of the 3 gun kits is considered to be of significantly higher quality, I think I'd opt for the reconditioned Bostitch combo kit w/ compressor. I've heard Senco was pretty good, but haven't heard of Grip-Rite or Surebonder.

I see some nailers have capacity for longer brads/finish nails so am wondering how much weight to put on that aspect. Have no idea at this point what lengths I'd be using in the future (or now) so am looking for the advice of those out there who have and use nail guns.

Thanks to all the great WW'ers out there...don't know what I'd do without your advice & guidance.

Brent

manfre

New User
Manfre
I've been using a HF brad nailer/stapler for a while to assemble bee equipment. For $20, it has exceeded my expectations. Had I seen a bostich for $35 at the time I was shopping for a nailer, I would have gotten that instead. They're generally much better quality than the HF brand.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
That reconditioned Bostich compressor + 3 nailer kit is precisely what I purchased (ReconditionedTools.com?). I have been a happy camper - although this is my fist pneumatic set - so there may be "quality" guns out there that have better features than mine. That said, I have used all three nailers and been happy with all of them - they do what they are supposed to, without issues.

Henry

Glennbear

Glenn
Like JimmyC I am not brand loyal so my pneumatic tools are a variety of brands with the majority being Campbell Hausfeld. I do have a suggestion however, when the time comes to buy a pin nailer spend the extra cash for one that does longer lengths. Mine maxs out at 1" and there have been times when I wanted to use pins rather than brads on thicker moldings and 1" was not long enough. :wsmile:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Northern Tool has the Bostich 3 nailer and compressor for $199.99 in the new circular. If you have one close by it can be checked out in person.

Good luck,

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
Hmmm, Lowes has this Campbell Hausfeld nailer kit for $159 thru Tuesday.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_325598-4365..._prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1

Since I already have a good compressor, this could work for me. I don't know if they are reconditioned or not, but assume they very well could be. I do know these are not the precision line that C-H also makes.

Glennbear, do these look like the ones you have/use ?

I'd be interested to hear any other comments about these if you have/use these.

Thanks,
Brent

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I have a C-H brad nailer that I'm happy with, but I'm not sure that I'd try there framing nailer. As far as having an a/c already, there are major advantages to having the pancake compressor, especially if you do any work away from the shop. I have a 20 gal. and a pancake and love them both.

Remember you get what you pay for, and those (5) C-H nailers are competeing at the same price point as HF tools, as long as you aren't using them alot you'll probably be fine. I paid a $100 more for my Bostich framer than that whole tool set is.

Good Luck,

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
Thanks for all the replies and good info. I finally decided to get the reconditioned Bostitch compressor and 3 guns...$199.99 at Northern Tool and I had a $20 off coupon, so that helped too. Haven't had time to inspect or use them yet. It also came with an air hose, 1000 of each fastener, tool oil and a bag for the nailers.

Brent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS