Good shop day . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I didn't get much accomplished in the shop, but two things made it a good, almost a great day:

First, awhile ago I sold a tip (another tip) to one of the WW magazines about my shop's central vac- I put a ShopVac in a sound-proofed cabinet and attached it to a mini cyclone. The pic below is from from a post (at this link) I made about it this time last year. The magazine was reviewing my tip and was a little concerned about possibility of overheating, so they contacted me yesterday. I said I didn't think it was a problem but would do some testing and let them know the results. I outfitted the cabinet with the outdoor sensor/sender module from the indoor/outdoor thermometer in my kitchen and set the base station on my bench. I connected the central vac ceiling drop to a ROS, turned on the vac, and shut the cabinet door. I ran the test for 90 minutes and recorded the temp readings every few minutes. After 90 minutes of continuous vac operation the temp in the cabinet had only increased to 94.5 deg. F and had just about stabilized. I was both surprised and pleased! That is less than normal human body temperature. I just fired off an email to the magazine with the results.

PB050004.JPG

#2- After cleaning up the shop from my OSS refurb, I couldn't find the 1/4" spindle. I looked and looked and wracked my brain. Finally, I thought that maybe I never really had one, that maybe I didn't get a 1/4" as well as the 1/2" I knew I didn't have. It wasn't in the pics I took of the spindles. I had myself convinced enough that I started looking online to see if I could buy one. Then for some reason I wandered over by my lathe and happened to look in a pile of miscellaneous items on the bench. Low and behold, there was the 1/4" spindle- wahoo!!!!
It is just amazing how little things like this can make your day!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Sounds like a great day indeed. :eek:ccasion1 That's a cool idea with the shop vac and sound proof cabinet. :icon_thum

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Your tinkering never ceases to amaze me! Congrats on another magazine inquiry!

Ain't it great when we find stuff like that laying around? I lose my tape measures atleast once every time I'm in the shop.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Your tinkering never ceases to amaze me! Congrats on another magazine inquiry!

Ain't it great when we find stuff like that laying around? I lose my tape measures atleast once every time I'm in the shop.

That's why I have 5 tape measures, I actually had all 5 together last week :swoon:

Alan congrats again :thumbs_up

b4man

New User
Barbara
Alan,

With out a doubt, you are the most intelligent, creative and talented person I have ever had the privilege of knowing even if it is only virtually!

Barbara

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
That's why I have 5 tape measures, I actually had all 5 together last week :swoon:

Alan congrats again :thumbs_up
So you took advantage of that 5 tapes for $30 on Black Friday? That is probably the only way I would have five tapes together. Of course it is nice to occasionally find a "new tape" that I bought some time earlier. Just last week, I located a Stanley 25' that was made entirely in America, still in the package. Of course it had been hiding EXACTLY where I left it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS