Good News: Mahogany has been found

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Good News ! Klingspor had three 3" x 3" x 8-0" African mahogany (leg) pieces.
Now I have at least 4 pcs for a highboy or lowboy w/ cabreole legs. (maybe ball & Claw)
Not sure about a highboy as it needs 12/4 pieces wide enough to cut the top swan mouldings.
Going to have to look around and see what is available before committing.
David Turner

bphaynes

Parker
Corporate Member
I guess that would be Sapele? I think true mahogany is central and south america. Most of the time it's marketed as "African Mahogany" aka Sapele, still very nice

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Mixing the two species still comes out pretty good. I've done it and I know the difference but most observers won't know or care when observing a piece of high quality woodwork.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Parker is correct in his statement that true mahogany is from the Americas. Swietenia macrophylla, or Honduran mahogany, is the most commonly available species, but availability is dwindling. Perhaps the most desirable of the true mahoganies is Swietenia mahoganii, or Cuban mahogany. It is rare and expensive if you can find it. African mahogany is more a marketing name and can refer to one of several different species from Africa. Khaya ivorensis is one of the most common species referred to as African mahogany. It can be a bit difficult to work with as it has an interlocking grain that tears out easily, requiring careful prep prior to finishing. Sapele, or Entandrophragma cylindricum, is sometimes marketed as African mahogany as well. It has a grain that is very similar to the true mahoganies, and is a bit darker in color, although there are lighter and darker varieties.

I also agree with Bob that to the casual observer, the differences between all of the above mentioned species would be unnoticeable. I have worked with all of these woods, with the exception of Cuban mahogany, over the past 40 years. As a substitute for true mahogany, I prefer sapele. It is easy to work and finish. It is less expensive and easier to source, and it takes an expert eye to distinguish it from true mahogany. To be honest, I don't think that I would be able to distinguish it in a finished piece.

I hope this helps some.

Matt

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I did a mahogany job for a lawyer a few decades back. The solid lumber was regular mahogany and the plywood was African mahogany. The difference was observable in the white, but with a wash of potassium dichromate, there wasn't enough difference to consider a defect. Depending on the scale, the African mahogany can enhance the overall look. Considering his level of skilll, whatever David uses is going to turn out to be jaw-dropping gorgeous.

1      mahog - 1.jpg 1      mahog - 2.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors