Good marine finish for mahogany?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I am doing a commission to replace the nasty, delaminating, and peeling plywood companionway hatch on a small sailboat. I will replace the ply with some nice solid mahogany I got from Steve Wall Lumber, but need advise on a good, durable finish.

Any of you nautical types have a recommendation on a good marine finish- Spar Varnish, Marine grade poly, etc.?

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
There was a pretty good review on exterior finishes in the recent issue of FWW. Epiphanes Marine spar varnish was the clear winner in tests done in four varying locations around the country. I have also recently read somewhere that Epiphanes was the best, although the marine spar varnishes from Pettit and a couple of other marine finish manufacturers were also mentioned as being very good. These products are not cheap, but if they last, they are worth it.

The other finish recommended in the FWW review was Sikkens Cetol. My local paint guy who is a Benjaming Moore dealer carries the Sikkens products and also says that Cetol is an excellent product. He has never steered me wrong in over 20 years of doing business with him.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Alan, I've used Petits Captains Varnish on out door furniture with good results. It's sold at West Marine there in Washington. It's a true marine varnish and those who know more than me says there is a big difference between it and poly or spar varnishes sold in the big box stores. It's not cheap at 30 bucks a qt as I remember.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Many of the teak and mahogany applications I have seen for marine applications just use tung oil. It has to be re-applied regularly, but you dont have to worry about the peeling. Any film finish WILL eventually peel and crack, especially on a companion, way unless it is protected from the weather.

bluthart

New User
Brian
I have used McClosky's Man-O-War Spar Varnish on some brazilian cherry that is outside. It is a marine grade spar varnish, and after 2 years of being outside on a chair, it is only showing slight signs of fading. I only used 2 coats too. It ambers the wood very slightly and really shows off the grain. It is what is on my avatar to the left.

<----

Robb Parker

New User
Robb
Have used Waterlox Marine finish (blue can) many times with great results. Used on mahogany veneer/solids and holly inlay on big boats. Must hold up because I have had repeat customers. It's a modified tung oil.
Robb
Heritage Woodwright llc

sapwood

New User
Roger
Good info folks :icon_thum

But I gotta ask why does the navy always need marine protection :rolleyes:

Ducking and running,
Roger

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Thanks guys. I guess I'll see what West Marine carries. It will no doubt be expensive, but more so if I buy it at the boat yard store. Cost gets passed along, but $30- WOW! I should have quoted much higher.

I'm doing this for a lady who wants to surprise her husband with a new companionway hatch for a sailboat he bought recently.

Glennbear

Glenn
Alan:

I believe the West Epoxy System has a water thin formulation used for marine wood coating that is UV stabilized. Being a horizontal surface I would think that UV protection would be your greatest concern on a hatch cover. I used West System components on an equine tack box for my daughter years ago and with the exception of abrasion damage it has held up well. Their website IIRC is a wealth of information. :wsmile:

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
>> I have used McClosky's Man-O-War Spar Varnish

McCloskey is no selling finishes. Cabot has acquired the rights to part of their product line.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
As already said, the best true marine spar varnish is Epifanes. Some other choices are spar varnishes are brands like Pettit, Wolsey, Interlux. Any of these should be able to be purchased at a marine supply store or a marina. Follow the directions on the label as to the number of coats to apply.

With any marine finish, expect to have to recoat periodically. The UV inhibitors are destroyed as they absorb the UV in sunlight. The finish will lose its gloss and will have to be scuff sanded and a couple of new coats applied.

Let me say that you must stay away from any of the big box "spar" poly varnishes. Poly is quickly destroyed by UV even when they contain UV inhibitors. If you must use an exterior clear finish, use a non-poly marine or spar varnish. ACE hardware has a non-poly as does Zinsser, Bengamin Moore and, I believe, Sherwin Williams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS