Good Electric Chainsaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Is there such a thing as a good electric chainsaw ? I will just use it to cut pieces for the lathe. I know I wouldnt be able to take it in the woods but I dont really want a gas one.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I have an old Craftsman 18" electric. It works fine. Takes a little longer to cut through thick stuff because the motor tends to bog down if you push it too hard.

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
From experience, with any electric chain saw, you MUST have a VERY sharp chain for it to work...once the chain starts to dull, the motor just doesnt have enough umph to cut...so pick up a file to go with the chain!

macdaddy

New User
Steve
I have a 14" Remington ( who ever makes that ) My gas chainsaw just does not want to start anymore so last weekend I put a 5hp generator in a cart pulled by an ATV and took it out in the woods to cut some firewood. It worked just fine. I don't know if I will do it again for it was a lot to set up and take down but you do what you have to do in a pinch.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I bought my brother a Remington about 10 years ago when where he lived had a wood stove heater. He used it to cut up firewood for about 3 winters and was very happy with it. (most of the wood was live oak, which is pretty tough). Although he does not use it much anymore, it still works fine when he does need it. One key thing was using a 12g extension cord.

Go

cliff56

cliff
Corporate Member
bought a poulan at lowes that has served me well fo rcutting blanks and such, as others have said sharp chaina must and dont push it too hard atone time.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
All of the electric chain saws are pretty much the same. If you have a couple to choose from get the highest amp rating.

Keep the chain sharp and you may be surprised what you can do.

I cut down a dead 30 inch Osage Orange tree with a 12 inch electric Wen chain saw.

It only took me two hours. :rotflm:

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Is there such a thing as a good electric chainsaw ?(edit)

I've owned several different types/brands since the late 1970s starting with a flea market cheapie. They all worked to some degree of satisfaction, but none were as efficient as the Milwaukee I got several years back. I haven't tried a Makita, but they have a good reputation also.

There's some good advice above, particularly the observation about being able to sharpen the chain to as sharp as it can be. Its the sharp chain teeth that do the cutting, the saw is just a device to spin the teeth (like most power tools).

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I 2nd the remington,I have one and a friend has a 16 or 18" (not sure)and that sucker is a work horse.another note to mention is make sure you keep em clean an plenty of oil in it an like said a sharp chain,and it should give you yr's of good service.

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
The Makita Gary (NCTurner) used is mine, which I got because 1) use it IN the shop, and 2)from a wheelchair. It is the UC3530A commercial electric with a 14" bar and drawing 14.5 amps (according to the sticker). In addition to the Dogwood Gary cut, I've used it to both section and trim Pin Oak, River Birch, plus some dry Persimmon and a dry 16/4 pine slab ~18" wide; the saw purred through it all.:thumbs_up Keep it clean & oiled and use a 12 gauge (or more, depending on length) extension cord and I think it will last quite a while. On Amazon ($200) every reviewer gave it the max, one being an ex-NW logger who was used to the monster saws. Good luck on your sawhunt!

If you're out my way, feel free to stop by and try it out.

Russ

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
This is a pecan tree (two of em) that was takin down an cut up with the remington either 16

or 18" (not sure).The largest dia was about 16" I think he said he pd about 100.00 for it.be hard ta beat that :gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS