Good Day With Roy Underhill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Yesterday (23rd) was our 4th Outreach session w/ the Wounded Warriors. But this time, instead of taking the Outreach trailer to Ft. Bragg and teaching power tool skills, we did something a little different. We invited the Warriors to my shop in Liberty, and Roy Underhill came to teach hand tool skills.

We had seven Warriors for this class, and frankly, I think that was about the right number. Originally we had said we wanted 8-12, but I think 8 would have been the maximum class size we could handle comfortably. From NCWW we had five helpers and one photographer. In addition to myself and Phil Soper, we had Mike Davis, CarvedTones (Andy), and KenOfCary (Ken). Jazzflute (Kevin) was there to take pictures and I think we'll be seeing some really nice shots from him pretty soon.

Roy began by showing some of the fun things you can do w/ wood: puzzles, trick joints, puppets, etc. Then he taught the Warriors how to make dovetails, from laying out to cutting, chiseling, and joining. After that, the Warriors each took some wood, found a vise, and started making their own dovetails. Roy supplied all the tools and enough wood for everyone. Eventually, I think all the Warriors were able to join two pieces of wood w/ what resembled dovetail joints (some more than others :)). A few of the more serious one's fretted that their joints weren't perfect. We all tried to assure them that our first dovetails were perfect either. And for many of us, neither was our 100th. :no: It just takes practice.

After lunch, Mike Davis gave a demonstration on sharpening chisels. Earlier in the day he had sharpened all of the chisels Roy brought, because they were still dull from a recent class. To show how to restore a "neglected" chisel, I brought out one of my "slightly used" ones, and he brought it back to better-then-new condition. Roy was impressed, and I was appreciative. Thanks Mike.

After that, Roy demonstrated how to make half-blind dovetails. He insisted they are easier than through dovetails, but I'm not convinced yet. :wconfused: Finally, Roy demonstrated one of the "impossible" dovetail joints we've all seen him do on his show. Once assembled, they look like they absolutely can't work. He also hastened to add that those trick joints are completely worthless, except to frustrate and annoy others. :wwink: Structurally, they are too weak to be of practical value.

The day finally ended around 3:00. Overall, I'd say this was a very good session and everyone enjoyed it. Whether we'll repeat it or not depends on the interest from the Warriors and Roy. I know I, and the rest of our NCWW crew, would certainly be willing to do it again. We'll see. Now for the obligatory group pic. Unfortunately, Phil and Kevin had to leave before we got around to the group shot.

IMG_3472.JPG

View image in gallery

Bill

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Early on, I thought we were overstaffed but once they got rolling on the dovetails, we absolutely were not. We might could have managed to have a couple of additional warriors, but 12 would have been too many even if we had more tools and vises. It was a great day,

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
A BIG thank you to all involved. This was a great day for NCWW

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Sounds like it was a success. Just out of curiosity, did any of the warriors know who Roy Underhill was? He is somewhat of a celebrity in woodworking circles, but a new woodworker may not even know the name. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Just out of curiosity, did any of the warriors know who Roy Underhill was? He is somewhat of a celebrity in woodworking circles, but a new woodworker may not even know the name.

I know at least four of them knew who he is, and came to the class specifically because of him. Not sure about the other three, but they seemed to enjoy it regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS