Good book on door installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have a pocket door between two rooms in my new workshop. On the one hand it's nice because it maximizes space, since I don't have to allow for the door swinging open. On the other hand the door is pretty narrow (29"), meaning it will be a pain getting tools & projects in and out.

When I demolished one of the partition walls, I reclaimed a 36" door, which would be perfect for this. All I have to do now is frame the opening, build the door jamb, hang the door, and add the trim :eek: I think I can manage the framing and trim, but the rest is a little trickier. All the DIY videos and articles on the net cover installing a pre-hung door...

Does anyone have a good book recommendation on door installation?

As you can see, I need some :help:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Windows and Doors, Scott McBride from Build Like A Pro series from Tauton press.

Modern Practical Joinery by George Ellis Has about 100 pages dealing with doors, plus its a must have.

I also highly recommend Installing Doors & Windows by Tom Law. He covers both prehung doors and hanging doors in existing farmes. Also covers windows, insulation and many of the steps to fit things in less than perfect situations.

Jim

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Books!, Books!...you doan need no steekin Books!
Well maybe you do!:gar-Bi

I have constructed my own "pre-hung" doors on a large assembly table. It's easier for me than building in situ.

DaveD

New User
Dave
Well.... Installing and Hanging Doors by Gary Katz is probably one of the best around. 200+ pages and $26. Probably really not needed for one door though. Try the Library. they may have it of something similar.

Probably any good finish carpentry book would do. Two that have 10-20 pages on doors are:

Trim Carpentry techniques by Craig Savage
Finish Carpentry by Gary Katz

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Since you have to tear out the pocket and reframe, why not install a double door in case you need to move something wider than 36"?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Almost any trim carpentry book will cover hanging basic doors. But may I suggest just allowing me to stop over and help. I have all the specialized tools and have installed hundreds of doors. Justr let me know. I could probably do it any afternoon or on the weekend. Phil

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I can help also if Phil and you don't hook up. But....it will mean getting your shop dirty. Are you ready for that?:banana:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Modern Practical Joinery by George Ellis Has about 100 pages dealing with doors, plus its a must have.

Jim

Just ordered it on your recommendation. Have you seen it in hardback? All I could find was paperback. I got the cheapest used one on Amazon.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I've never seen a hardback, which means almost as much as saying I've never seen bigfoot :)

Jim

Just ordered it on your recommendation. Have you seen it in hardback? All I could find was paperback. I got the cheapest used one on Amazon.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Well.... Installing and Hanging Doors by Gary Katz is probably one of the best around. 200+ pages and $26.
Ordered! It was on sale for $16...so I had to go get a "filler" to get free shipping :)

Since you have to tear out the pocket and reframe, why not install a double door in case you need to move something wider than 36"?
The assembly room (for lack of a better term) has a double door, so all I really need to worry about are project pieces and tools. 36" should be sufficient for most items. A double door would eat up a lot of space.

Plus, I'd need to buy those doors...

Almost any trim carpentry book will cover hanging basic doors. But may I suggest just allowing me to stop over and help. I have all the specialized tools and have installed hundreds of doors. Just let me know. I could probably do it any afternoon or on the weekend. Phil
Phil, that's an extremely generous offer :icon_thum. I thought about just having someone come do the work, but I want to actually _learn_ how to do this (so I can be like Scott Smith when I grow up). This would be the best of both worlds

I can help also if Phil and you don't hook up. But....it will mean getting your shop dirty. Are you ready for that?:banana:
:rotflm: Here's what the shop currently looks like - and this is after I cleaned up.
shop_demo2.jpg

So I think I can handle getting the shop a little dirtier... :banana:Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that. :icon_thum

Can you use the 36" door for a new pocket door?
No, the pocket door track isn't big enough for that, but that's an interesting idea...it would certainly save some space. :eusa_thin :eusa_thin

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Lookin' good, Bas!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum

Looks like you should be ready for the hardwood floor installation soon!:gar-Bi

Wayne

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Lookin' good, Bas!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum

Looks like you should be ready for the hardwood floor installation soon!:gar-Bi

Wayne
Still got half a wall to tear out. Run a new subpanel. Do the outlets. New lights. Door. Clean up all the mess off the floor....yeah, soon! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS