Gonna Sell my Table Saw... Need some help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickster

New User
Nick
Hey guys, I'm going to sell my table saw. It's just too big for the space I have and I think a more portable one will fit me better. It's a steel city 35606 with a 5HP motor, has a 30" fence and table extension. I'm not sure what it's worth, I know how much I paid for it last year off CL but not sure what it's worth now.

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
I see you just posted it for $700. Typically I attempt to sell things (that are in good shape) for about 50 - 65% of their current retail value, but give it a few days/weeks if you don't get any bites lower it a few bucks. I also price my items on craigslist about 10 - 20% over what I am willing to take in case someone wants to feel like they are getting a deal.

nickster

New User
Nick
I see you just posted it for $700. Typically I attempt to sell things (that are in good shape) for about 50 - 65% of their current retail value, but give it a few days/weeks if you don't get any bites lower it a few bucks. I also price my items on craigslist about 10 - 20% over what I am willing to take in case someone wants to feel like they are getting a deal.

Yeah I think I'd take about $600 ish... I did put it for a bit more on CL too build in the haggle process.

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
Yeah I think I'd take about $600 ish... I did put it for a bit more on CL too build in the haggle process.

Good deal.

By the way if you go the portable saw route I would highly recommend taking a look at the Bosch 4100 with gravity rise stand at Lowes (available cheaper online most likely). I do not own one, but have seen them in use a lot and they get great reviews.

nickster

New User
Nick
Good deal.

By the way if you go the portable saw route I would highly recommend taking a look at the Bosch 4100 with gravity rise stand at Lowes (available cheaper online most likely). I do not own one, but have seen them in use a lot and they get great reviews.

That's they one I was looking at...

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would dis-recommend the Ryobi that HD sells for a little over $100. I had one once and it is not accurate and has a lot of problems maintaining it's settings. Spend a little more and get a good contractor's saw.

- Ken.

nickster

New User
Nick
I would dis-recommend the Ryobi that HD sells for a little over $100. I had one once and it is not accurate and has a lot of problems maintaining it's settings. Spend a little more and get a good contractor's saw.

- Ken.

Yeah I'm not looking to save any of the money that I make on selling this saw. I want to put it all back into the new one.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
going to a contractors saw wont save you any space. matter of fact they take up more space than a cabinet saw because of the motor hanging off the back. I also doubt you will be happy with a portable. no dado capability and they pretty much suck. putting your saw on a mobile base may solve the issue. the ability to wheel it out of the way makes a big difference in a small shop. just my $.02 for what its worth.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
going to a contractors saw wont save you any space. matter of fact they take up more space than a cabinet saw because of the motor hanging off the back. I also doubt you will be happy with a portable. no dado capability and they pretty much suck. putting your saw on a mobile base may solve the issue. the ability to wheel it out of the way makes a big difference in a small shop. just my $.02 for what its worth.

my thoughts exactly, but ymmv.

my TS is on a mobile base as well (along with my other tools -jointer, planer, BS) and this helps out quite a lot with my limited space.

red f

New User
Blaine
I'm actually trying to sell my Bosch portable saw. I think its probably the same one you're looking at. I bought it last year at Lowes for $650. They're selling them now for 550. I really like it, but I needed something a little more permanent. I've only used it a couple times and I came across a nice Powermatic 66 with sliding table on CL.

If you're interested, I'll be visiting my in-laws in Holly Springs this weekend and could bring it with me.

Also, it doesn't take up much space with the gravity rise stand.

eyekode

New User
Salem
+1 If you are going to use a table saw a cabinet saw takes up a minimum of space. If you are not going to use a table saw often then maybe you just don't need one at all? Some people go bandsaw only! Although I love to use hand tools there are very few projects I have completed without using a table saw. So although I have only a little room I keep my saw easy to access and with enough infeed/outfeed to do the job.
Good luck!
Salem

RayH

New User
Ray
+1 more on the mobil base. Besides, the saw top makes an excellent flat table:gar-Bi

Good luck,
Ray

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I disagree with respect to the portable saws, at least the good ones like the aforementioned bosh or the DeWalt 744. They're obviously going to have some shortcomings compared to a larger saw, particularly in terms of table and fence size, but for most projects they do very well. I owned the 744 for years. It has an excellent fence with a 24" rip capacity, good power, and works fine with a standard dado set as well. Yes, a full sized saw on a mobile base is better if you have the space and use it enough but a good portable can serve you very well.

Iamopie2

New User
Josh
I bought the PC table saw from Lowes and so far I like it a lot. The table saw I had before was a really old hand me down craftsman with no fence. Or safety features. So really anything is a step up.

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
Good deal.

I have the Rigid with the folding stand. I love that saw

batk30msu

New User
brent
I know there have been a lot of mixed feelings (mostly negative because it doesn't compare to older versions) but I love my Ridgid hybrid (4512). No motor out the back for space saving, very heavy to nearly eliminate vibrations, room for a router table, on a mobile base. I needed to make a few adjustments out of the box to square things up but had no trouble doing so. I know many will disagree. . . . .

ehpoole

Ethan
Is this saw still forsale?

John,

All you need to do to check on the status of any Classified Ad is visit our Classifieds section by clicking on the "Classifieds" button on our top menu bar. From there you will want to click on "Items for Sale" (located just below the banner ad). You will then be presented with a list of all active Classified For-Sale Ads. Towards the bottom of the page you will find the controls to advance to additional screens of ad listings (the default is to display 15 ads per screen).

Just make note of the seller's username and you can scan the Classifieds listings and simply look for all sales by that seller (the seller's name is in column 4, if counting the photo as column 1). Some ads will also have photos, many don't, depending upon whether the seller chose to attach a photo to the sale.

RickC

New User
Rick
I'm actually trying to sell my Bosch portable saw. I think its probably the same one you're looking at. I bought it last year at Lowes for $650. They're selling them now for 550. I really like it, but I needed something a little more permanent. I've only used it a couple times and I came across a nice Powermatic 66 with sliding table on CL.

If you're interested, I'll be visiting my in-laws in Holly Springs this weekend and could bring it with me.

Also, it doesn't take up much space with the gravity rise stand.

Sounds like an opportunity to trade!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS