Gnawin' on NC walnut

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimReed2160

New User
jim
I picked up this low knob Stanley #7 jointer for $9.99 on ebay because it had a bite out of the side. Glad that scared away the bidders because this is a really nice plane. I sharpened a camber on the blade and had it gnawing away in less than a minute. I think that is the shortest plane rehab I have ever done. Here is a picture of some 5/4 rough NC walnut that the LN scrub plane helped to tame before the #7 went to work. Nothing beats a morning in the shop making shavings.
IMAG0389.jpg

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Given your skill in making plane blades I would say that brazing in a repair to that chip should be duck soup for you. Congrats on the score and on having a little fun with it. Nothing makes me happier than finding a good tool at a sweet price and then putting it to work for me. Oh - BTW ...
You Suck!!

JimReed2160

New User
jim
Cool score!

Now, tell us about making plane blades??? :eusa_pray

I started over five years ago because I needed some #46 dado plane blades. In that time I have made thousands and sell them all over the world. I make custom blades for antique planes but mostly make combination plane cutters (#45, #55, #46, Sargent, etc). I will dig up some pictures to post. See my other posting on the #46 cutters.

Blades are precision ground high carbon tool steel. I cut, grind, and/or mill it to spec and send it to NC for professional heat treating. I use O-1 steel and could heat treat it at home. It is not that hard for the average craftsman and people do it successfully every day. I use a service because of my volume and my quest for quality and consistency.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Really neat, Jim. I love niche businesses and you seem to have a successful one. Good luck and welcome to NCWW!

JimReed2160

New User
jim
Here is a picture of two little rehabiliated orphan planes. They are Stanley #40 1/2 scrub planes. These are often found without blades and without lever caps. That is good because I make a 3/16" thick replacement blade that is thicker and works better than the original. (But will not fit under the original lever cap.) Then I make a replacement lever cap from bronze or brass. What results is a souped up plane that will gnaw wood faster than a beaver on crack.:lol:

IMAG0287.jpg

nelsone

New User
Ed
Jim, that's really cool! Making your own caps and irons is quite impressive. I'd love to come by sometime when you are making your irons and caps to see how you go about it!

DavidF

New User
David
Soooo, does this mean that you have a "hock" type thicker blade for a #4 1/2?????? How much money are we talking here? I have wanted to replace the original "Record" blade with a hock, but have never got around to it.

JimReed2160

New User
jim
Not my specialty area, but I do make them from time to time--mostly for myself. Stanleys are 1/16; mine are 3/32. You may have to open the mouth or move the frog back--depends on the plane. Adjuster will still work. The extra thickness really helps. Somewhere in the $30 neighborhood. 1 April delivery.

DavidF

New User
David
Not my specialty area, but I do make them from time to time--mostly for myself. Stanleys are 1/16; mine are 3/32. You may have to open the mouth or move the frog back--depends on the plane. Adjuster will still work. The extra thickness really helps. Somewhere in the $30 neighborhood. 1 April delivery.

Uhmmm, thinks that could be interesting, you may see an order for one or two if I can persuade the CFO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS