Gluing up exotics?

Trey1984

Trey
User
Was wondering if when gluing exotics ( cutting boards is what I'm gluing up ) if I need to wipe the surface with mineral spirits or anything else? The reason asking is because on 2 boards I made there was hair line gap on the end of 2 different cutting boards and both hair line gaps was on the glue joint where one side of the joint was yellow heart and on the other was walnut. On the other cutting board the gap was between yellow heart and pecan. Had no problems no where else. Thanks

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Try wiping things down with denatured alcohol that will reduce the oils from the woods preventing the glues bonding and drying well.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Wiping with lacquer thinner to wipe off potential oils is the suggestion I heard years ago. I've used that often when I'm doing things with oily exotics, particularly teak. It works. I think mineral spirits run the risk of leaving an oily residue.

Acetone is probably best, but that stuff evaporates so fast, its hard to use on long surfaces.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
James King, King Fine Woodworking, builds a lot of his stuff with exotics. He strong recommends RUBBING down with acetone first. And he encourages vigorous rubbing to remove the oils. Then he simply uses Titebond PVA. A local woodworker ran his own tests of wiping with acetone, wiping with denatured alcohol, not wiping, and using different glues. His confirmed to himself that James' recommendation is spot on.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
James King, King Fine Woodworking, builds a lot of his stuff with exotics. He strong recommends RUBBING down with acetone first. And he encourages vigorous rubbing to remove the oils. Then he simply uses Titebond PVA. A local woodworker ran his own tests of wiping with acetone, wiping with denatured alcohol, not wiping, and using different glues. His confirmed to himself that James' recommendation is spot on.
Acetone and denatured alcohol, in my experience, are both pretty good degreasers. I have tended to use denatured alcohol for gluing up exotics. I never had a problem; maybe I just got lucky.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I use denatured alcohol and never had an issue. If in doubt about the wood, wipe it down.

Red

Trey1984

Trey
User
I use denatured alcohol and never had an issue. If in doubt about the wood, wipe it down.

Red
Yeah I'm going to start wiping down just so don't have to worry about it. I have denatured alcohol so going to give it try.

Reactions: red

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors