Gluing MDF

ednl

ed
Senior User
I typically only use MDF for templates. However, I have a unique project that requires hardwood edge banding on MDF. I've always understood that MDF doesn't glue well because it absorbs so much of the (yellow) glue. So, I'm asking this forum for advice on best methods for gluing hardwood to MDF? Thanks.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I have not used any of the edge-banding that comes in rolls, but I have glued thin strips of hardwood to MDF with Titebond with no issues. I even glued hardwood to the particleboard edges of Melamine, though I did get some separation in a few pieces eventually.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
You can use yellow wood glue, but you have to be careful. Do it in 2 stages:
  1. Apply a skim coat to the MDF with your fingertip. Keep it thin. This is to seal the MDF from absorbing too much moisture and swelling. Let this sit for about an hour, or 1/2 of the recommended drying time of the glue.
  2. Apply a coat to the edge banding in the thickness you normally apply wood glue. To err on the side of caution and minimize squeeze out/clean up, keep this coat on the thin side too. It needs to be thicker than the first coat so there is enough to soak into the banding.
I am interested if anyone recommends an alternative glue. If you apply painter's tape to both faces, maybe you could use high strength spray adhesive.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Never had a problem but I do work in the glue with my finger. The two step works or you can seal the edges with shellac.

I would think, any spray I know of remains too plastic and "strong" is relative only to rubber cement.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
You can use hot hide glue to put the edging on. Where the hide is better than yellow is the glue you brush on the MDF edge and let it dry will be reactivated with the hot glue you brush on the wood before you clamp it up. This is how I put edging on plywood and MDF.

Good Luck
Dan

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
I have to admit, being lazy, that I’ve just spread glue on MDF and glued 2 pieces together numerous times and it’s worked. I expect the suggestion to skim coat it and effectively “seal” it probably results in a better end result, but my process has worked for my purpose.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I made my router table case out of HDF. I glued it all together with Titebond as if it was wood and had zero issues. I painted it afterward and sealed the endgrain with watered-down glue brushed on and left to dry. It worked OK. I still needed a second coat which I rolled on with a mini sponge roller.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS