glue

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I have been using Titebond glue for some time now after seeing it a staple in many of the shops I have visited
I've now realized there is Titebond, Titebond II and Titebond III available

Which do you use and when/why ?

Thanx in advance for any and all input :icon_thum

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I believe Titebond Orginal is for interior use only and Titebond II is for exterior use. Not sure about Titebond III.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I use titebond III because it seems to cure a little slower and being me, well slow helps. The label also states longer open assembly time. Gives me a little time for repositioning glue ups.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Titebond III Ultimate Wood Glue is a one-part, water cleanup wood glue that is also waterproof.

Titebond II Premium Wood Glue is the a one-part wood glue that is ANSI Type II water-resistant. It is good for exterior woodworking projects.

Titebond Original Wood Glue provides a strong initial tack and fast speed of set to reduce clamp time.

Doug

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
What Doug said! We use Type II on all our outdoor furniture that gets glue.

Robert, your rocker has Type II in places.

We like the "open time" in case we need to change something. (Not that we EVER would!:nah:)

:rotflm:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I use TB1 for most applications, it's cheap and sticks well. I use TB2 for most outdoor applications. I use TB3 for outdoor applications needing a longer open time...and will continue until I run out of the bottle that was given to me :roll:
If you need a longer open time use a PRG, the difference in open time with the PVA glues are minimal.
So many folks use either TB2 or TB3 thinking they are superior glues (over the TB1). Unless you are doing an outdoor gluing application, TB1 will suit your needs and keep the glue costs down.

Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I use Titebond for ordinary stuff and Titebond III for projects where I need a little bit more time, or it will come into contact with food, or if I want a dark glueline. Haven't made anything for outdoor yet.

But, Elmer's yellow glue seems to be exactly the same as Titebond. And it's cheaper. I can't tell the difference. I also use plastic resin glue if I need lots of open time. Love that stuff.

SkintKnuckle

New User
Martin
Exactly what DaveO said. Titebond I inside, Titebond II outside.

Titebond III is actually designed to be an ANSI type I adhesive, which is more stringent than the ANSI type II.

Here's a link to a very good comparison of the different Titebond products. It's very well done.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/titebond.html

Be sure to look at the different specifications of all 3, there are trade-off's.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
More than half my work requires water resistance so I use Titebond II on just about all wood to wood applications. Titebond III is used when I need more open time but I dislike the color it dries to. The glue line is too dark for light colored woods IMO.
Rob

sawduster

New User
Robert
Once again NCWWer comes through :eusa_clap!! thanx everyone for the awesome info :icon_thum

Now what, exactly, is " open time " :icon_scra Logically I'm sure it has to do with workability time before it sets up but can someone be more specific ?
Sorry , my diaper is showing :embaresse

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes open time is how long you have to get the work assembled before the glue sets up. For rookies like us, more open time is good.:thumbs_up

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Open time is the amount of time the glue remains liquid and workable. Joining parts after the open time expires will result in a weak bond.

Doug

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Regular Titebond is an adhesive rated for interior use.

Titebond II is an adhesive rated "Water Resistant" meeting the ANSI Type II specification. "Water Resistant" means it will take repeaded wettings and still maintain adherenence. But, it is not suitable for submerged or long term completely wet conditions. Good for cutting boards, birdhouses, outdoor furniture, kitchen/bathroom applications, etc.

Titebond III is an adhesive rated "Waterproof". This means it can be used in a totally submerged application. It meets the ANSI Type I specification for the "Waterproof" designation. There are not really many woodworking applications that need this type of adhesive. However, the TBIII also has a open time about double the TB and TBII so you have longer to glue things up. It also can be used at a lower temperature than TB and TBII.

Go to the Titebond site and you will find lots of info about adhesives in general and the complete listing of all the Titebond adhesives. (www.titebond.com)

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I use TB1 for most applications, it's cheap and sticks well. I use TB2 for most outdoor applications. I use TB3 for outdoor applications needing a longer open time...and will continue until I run out of the bottle that was given to me :roll:
If you need a longer open time use a PRG, the difference in open time with the PVA glues are minimal.
So many folks use either TB2 or TB3 thinking they are superior glues (over the TB1). Unless you are doing an outdoor gluing application, TB1 will suit your needs and keep the glue costs down.

Dave:)

Dave, Where are you getting the PRG?

As for the titebond, I use T2 on light wood and T3 on darker wood. Most of my stuff is used in non-central A/C environments, so I go with the moisture resistant levels. Have not noticed an appreciable difference in T2 and T3 in set-up time working in my garage (er non-climatically controlled shop).

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS