Glue roller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
I see David Marks and Norm and Marc Spagnuolo and all those guys using a rubber glue roller to spread their glue along surfaces, and I have tried to locate something like that to use. Any ideas where I can get my dirty little hands on one?:gar-Bi

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
I wondered the same thing and ended up using one of those throw away trim paint rollers last Fall. I searched Marc's site and found this one.:icon_thum

Now that I know the brand, they show up on google from a lot of places - for scrapbooking, camera stores, etc. Not sure where to buy one without mail order though.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I got one of those kits that has a glue bottle and lots of different tips. It also has a rubber roller you can screw onto the bottle. I tried it once, it was very difficult to dosage the glue while rolling it out. It made a huge mess. I'd stick with a standalone-model like Steve and Greg suggested.

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
Before you spend too much time/$ on this try the sponge trim roller suggested before. I use them and they work well. After the first use I don't wash out the glue and let it dry hard. From that point on I wash it off after each use. They roll easily and distribute the glue well. And they are cheap.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have one in a kit from woodcraft. it was a christmas gift from LOML 3 years ago. GLOAT??? NOT!!!. its just a little better than.... er um slightly less than.... or um equal to-- yeh thats it equal to USELESS. I used it once! still got it though. it was a gift...... remember???? it sits prominently on a high shelf in plain view of the LOML.:rogarHead

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Go to Michaels Craft store (not my store, bad joke I know) They have these highspeed little plastic rollers that are cheap. You can slide off the roller too if for some reason you forget to clean it off during the heat of a glue up and soak that bad boy in hot water until the glue comes off. I searched the site but couldn't find an example online. If you don't see them in your area let me know. I will snag some locally and send them UPS.

M

McRabbet

You should be able to find short nap trim rollers in the paint department at Lowe's and rubber rollers for contact cement application in the laminate tool supplies (you don't need the heavy duty "J" roller, which is for pressing the bubbles out from the laminate). Just remember to clean the rollers immediately after use.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
They're called Brayers. I have an acrylic one. It's non-stick and easy clean. They work so much better than my old laminated Blockbuster Video card I used for years. Got it in Atlanta at Dick Blick Art Supply: http://www.dickblick.com/zz401/14/ but you can probably find them at any arts & crafts store like Micheals, AC Moore, etc.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Go to Michaels Craft store (not my store, bad joke I know) They have these highspeed little plastic rollers that are cheap. You can slide off the roller too if for some reason you forget to clean it off during the heat of a glue up and soak that bad boy in hot water until the glue comes off. I searched the site but couldn't find an example online. If you don't see them in your area let me know. I will snag some locally and send them UPS.

I'll second (or third) what Michael said about his craft store. I have one of those rollers (Brayers) and it works great. I only pull it out for larger glue ups, because I hate cleaning it after one quick use. For those quick glue spread needs I really like to use all the fake (and real) credit cards that show up in the mail. They are real money savers, I often will just toss them after one job as I get a few a month. I like to take my wife's new credit cards and spread a little glue with it, forget to wipe it off, and watch our debt decrease...more money saved.

Dave:icon_prof

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I'll second (or third) what Michael said about his craft store. I have one of those rollers (Brayers) and it works great. I only pull it out for larger glue ups, because I hate cleaning it after one quick use. For those quick glue spread needs I really like to use all the fake (and real) credit cards that show up in the mail. They are real money savers, I often will just toss them after one job as I get a few a month. I like to take my wife's new credit cards and spread a little glue with it, forget to wipe it off, and watch our debt decrease...more money saved.

:rotflm: hope she aint readin this!:gar-La; great idea dave!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
You can also go into the BORG's and get some laminate samples. Put a stack in the vise, and use a triangle file to cut notches in them. Priced just right- FREE!:gar-La;

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I like that. Anyone have a shop use for AOL discs? I think there are about a billion of them waiting to go into the landfill.

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
GEZZZZZZZZZZZZZ I been using my finger thought thats what I was supposed to do:nah:
Oh well learn something everyday here:icon_thum

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I like that. Anyone have a shop use for AOL discs? I think there are about a billion of them waiting to go into the landfill.

spacers for a dado set? you may need to reem the center hole a little. here in the dark it looks like they are slightly larger than 9/16" . I have not tried it but seems to be doable.

sediener

New User
Steve
I just toss mine in a small bucket of water and dry it off a few days/weeks later (whenever I remember). The bucket trick also works for acid brushes.

I only pull it out for larger glue ups, because I hate cleaning it after one quick use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS