Glue for Dovetailed Toy Chest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I am building a toy chest and it is time to glue up the dovetailed sides of the chest. Any recommendations on a glue to use? I usually use Titebond I or II, but I am a little concerned about open time. I recently picked up some Titebond Hide Glue, maybe this would be a good place to use it?

Thanks,
Jeremy

CLetts

New User
Carl
Any downside to using Titebond Hide Glue vs Titebond II?

I always use hide glue on dovetails. The only down side I've ever noticed was it can get pretty messy, so tape the inside edges of the joint (the outside of the joint doesn't need taping because you're going to clean up and smooth the outside corners). After about 30 min's, carefully remove the tape.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I haven't used titebond hide, but I used to use real hide glue. It was messy, but it washed off with a warm damp rag.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I have used titebond hide glue for many dovetails and love it. It is nice and slippery so your joints don't bind and you have lots of time to square things up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
This is a good place for the titebond hide glue. Titebond I or II is also a good choice. It's what I've always used. Just dry fit all your parts and make sure you have everything prepared and you will have no problem.

Red

Jeff

New User
Jeff
There's an open/working time comparison chart on the Titebond site (attached, I think). TBIII Ultimate and TB Hide are both in the 20-30 minute range. TB Original and TBII are poorer choices for your application.

Attachments

• FF683_GlueGuideTB-2.pdf
    478.2 KB · Views: 92

shaf2376

New User
Jeff
I recently used the new Titebond Extended time on a chest wiht dovetails. Worked well and had plenty of open time. Very simular to Titebound II but with extenders. I know Klingspore carries it and I believe Woodcraft. You will not find it at the big blue or orange box stores.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Great timing for this discussion. I'll be making 96 dovetailed corners for the NCWW fund raising chest. I have a little of the Titebond extended time version. I think that's where I'll start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors