Gitter Stick

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Years back there was a wallet fumble at the ATM. Things fell down between the car seat and the console. Retrieval was a real annoyance. Back in the shop I picked up a floor scrap, cut a short nub off the end and glued it on. The original was rounded with a hand plane and a little sand paper. The stick ended up being 18-1/2” long, ¼” wide and 3/8” high. It worked great. We kept it down between the seat and the console. When needed it was easily found. It turns out this thing gets used about once a month for some trivial little thing that falls down in that canyon. Others that have seen it wanted one so I made a batch to hand out.

I didn’t want to hand plane a bunch of sticks so I used my 1/8” round over router table. It turns out that ¼” thickness was bad strategy for this because the bearing edge is above 1/8” so I had to round the ¼” width pieces on their edge. I had a stick of 5/16” thick stock so I used that also. This is a better thickness for the round over router table.

These are great little gifts for people that didn’t know they needed one.

1       gitter - 1.jpg 1       gitter - 2.jpg 1       gitter - 3.jpg 1       gitter - 4.jpg
A custom made push stick for thin stock. It works great and keeps the fingers away from the blade.

1       gitter - 5.jpg
The basic parts. the original prototype is at the top of the photo. Nothing complicated.

1       gitter - 6.jpg
detail of the original hook. The grabbing surface was left flat.

1       gitter - 7.jpg
Glue-up. The hook studs were used as spacers where glue wasn't used.

1       gitter - 8.jpg
A quick round over on the disc sander.
1       gitter - 9.jpg
5/16" thick stock fit on the round over quite well
1       gitter - 10.jpg
1/4" stock had to be rounded this way.

1       gitter - 11.jpg
My little router table expressly made for the 1/8" round over bit. This thing is handy for small parts.

1       gitter - 12.jpg
Close up of the hook ends. Nothing fancy.

1       gitter - 13.jpg
The finished batch with the original shown at the bottom.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS