Getting youth involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I've been invited back to Horn Creek's Corn Shuckin festival and the Colfax Persimmon Festival this year to display and demonstrate old time woodworking and antique hand tools.

I usually talk about old tools, carve spoons and let the little kids try using a spoke shave. I'd like to try something different this year. Any ideas?

I'd really like to engage the little kids and interest teens in woodworking.

Anybody who is interested and wants to hang out or help demonstrate is welcome to join in.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
http://www.nchistoricsites.org/horne/main.htm

19th Annual Cornshucking Frolic

Horne Creek Living Historical Farm, Pinnacle

Start Time 10/16/2010 10:00 AM
End Time 10/16/2010 5:00 PM

Description
A traditional rural frolic featuring the harvesting, shucking, shelling, and grinding of corn. Cider making, quilting, cooking, woodworking, wagon rides, curing tobacco, children's games, natural dyeing, dancing, and traditional music featured. A variety of craft demonstrations also featured. Wonderful products and gifts available at our Country Store. $3.00 donation requested for admission. Fee charged for food and drinks and some craft activities. For further information, call 336/325/2298.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
http://colfaxpersimmonfest.com/

The Third Annual Colfax Persimmon Festival
is scheduled for historic Stafford Farm on
Saturday, Nov. 6, 2010, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.
(Severe weather back-up date: November 13.)
Admission fee: $5 per person at the gates.

Volunteers wanted: If you are interested in being a
Persimmon Person, volunteer to help with the
Persimmon Festival by contacting Gene Stafford (336
682 5328.)

ehpoole

Ethan
If you could come up with something quick and simple (perhaps pre-cut and partially prepped) that children and teens could then assemble themselves and take home -- that might do it. Maybe something like a small coat or key rack -- or some other simple and inexpensive item that can be largely pre-prepped. They can glue the parts together (and perhaps a few other steps) before they leave, then do the final sanding and finishing at home.

More than just trying out a tool, I really think the permanent sense of accomplishment found in an item they take home (and perhaps take a turn at finishing with some pre-printed instructions) would help entice those who have atleast a hint of interest in woodworking. It is a reminder they would see everyday.

Just my thoughts.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
For the older kids and teens, maybe a Carolina Bluebird house? (Hammer, saw and drill to bore hole would be main tools). http://www.nabluebirdsociety.org/eastwestbox.htm

Coat rack? (i.e a 2 x 4 with holes angled in and dowels set in with hammer)

For the smaller tykes, a project including hammering nails with a small hammer. Pre-drilling the holes for the nails will help them drive them in easier. (Might work on the bluebird house).

Just trying to brainstorm at bit.

Go

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I don't think any of those projects will work for several reasons.

First, there is no place to work on an assembly project there. Just barely a place for me to demonstrate. I have to bring my shave horse and a small table to display old tools. Just so much will fit in my car.

Second, this is a 1890-1910ish type event (both are) and I would think some kind of primitive home made type toy would go over better than a bird house.

Third, I don't have time nor cash to make up several hundred kits to give away. I make the spoons from firewood picked up on site. That really gets folks interested. (You made that spoon from that piece of firewood?!!)

Fourth, I have to catch the kids attention quickly and they are much more interested in the other things to see and do. Sometimes they will come back around later in the day for a few minutes after they get bored of looking at the other exhibits.

Fifth, I am also trying to attract more NCWW members so I don't want to be too juvenile directed.

With the kids I usually talk about the pioneers having to make most of the things they used. No Walmarts in the wilderness and sometimes a days ride or more to the nearest country store. I try to get them to think about making everything you need. I carve simple little spoons and give them to the kids that show a keen interest. Once in a while an adult will be really interested and I will give them a spoon.

One thing I need to do is make some cards with NCWW web site and some info to hand out.

This is the first time I sat down and put this much thought into the events. I usually just play it by ear and throw some tools in the car the night before an event.

gator

George
Corporate Member
One thing I need to do is make some cards with NCWW web site and some info to hand out.

I don't recall who it was, maybe Papa Smurf??, but a couple of years ago someone gave me some cards for NCWW with my screen name on them as a name to put down as 'recommended by' when they register. Maybe whoever printed them up will jump in.

George

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't recall who it was, maybe Papa Smurf??, but a couple of years ago someone gave me some cards for NCWW with my screen name on them as a name to put down as 'recommended by' when they register. Maybe whoever printed them up will jump in.

George

I believe that was WoodWrangler but I could be wrong.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That is great Greg, while I may not have time to do that this year it is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. I will get it ready for next year.

THANKS!

nelsone

New User
Ed
Have you ever tried making cedar fans? Roy had a show last year showing them. Here's a link I found on a quick search. I've wanted to try one, but haven't got a round tuit! They seem fairly simple and quick.

Greg, cool link. Rob comes up with some neat ideas!

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
maybe something like the gee-haw whimmydiddle? Hand carved in short order, takes so little material, young and old are fascinated by them...
Whatever you come up with, getting the youth involved in woodworking is mighty good stuff!

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
Mike, I have a spring pole lathe, shaving horse, and other tools I've been taking to various sites over the past five years or so. Kids of all ages seem to be fascinated by the pole lathe which I let folks try, shorter ones just get to pump the treadle, if their shoulder is even with or above the tool rest and they are interested, I let them try the gouge. I have a ball and the kids seem to as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS